• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 19, 2024, 07:33:26 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

MCI Malt Question

Started by fergus, March 02, 2015, 12:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergus

Hi all,

I finally found a supplier here in Canada who stocks MCI Irish Ale Malt and Stout Malt. Unfortunately the largest size they sell is 5lb. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on both. I hover between Maris Otter and Canada Malting Superior Pale Ale Malt (very similar to MO but a bit cheaper) as the base malt for 80% of my brews so would be interested to try these in their place.

Cheers,

Ferg

Greg2013

Where in Canada are you based Ferg ? I have a few home brewer friends over there might be able to help source grain etc. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

fergus

Hi Greg,

I am in Montreal. If you know if anyone who can help me source it, that'd be great!!!  I would like to keep supporting Irish businesses even though I am presently in the frozen north :)

Ferg

Greg2013

Funny that as i have a couple friends in Lachine ,Quebec,what malt exactly do you need ? I have one guy is an all grain brewer i can ask.Failing that i have another in NSC and one or two around Niagra region. Does it have to be MCI as i doubt you are going to find that easy to get over there in any large quantity ?  ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

fergus

Ah,  I reread your post. You said grain, not specifically MCI grain :) Ingredients, equipment, etc. I have in abundance and can easily source in Montreal/online. MCI grain however is a luxury but I have just found one stockist in Ontario. I was more interested in hearing the general consensus on MCI malts and what beers people have been using them in. I was thinking of picking some stout malt up and trying it as a replacement for MO in an upcoming brew later this month. But thanks for offering to hook me up. It is very much appreciated :) BTW, are any of your friends members of our local homebrew club here; the MontreAlers?

Greg2013

Quote from: fergus on March 02, 2015, 09:45:34 PM
Ah,  I reread your post. You said grain, not specifically MCI grain :) Ingredients, equipment, etc. I have in abundance and can easily source in Montreal/online. MCI grain however is a luxury but I have just found one stockist in Ontario. I was more interested in hearing the general consensus on MCI malts and what beers people have been using them in. I was thinking of picking some stout malt up and trying it as a replacement for MO in an upcoming brew later this month. But thanks for offering to hook me up. It is very much appreciated :) BTW, are any of your friends members of our local homebrew club here; the MontreAlers?

Quite possibly the Quebecers(well the Wife is a real Quebecer the hubby Italian Canadian) live in Lachine as i said so i will ask him,he is kramercanify on youtube,the NSC guy is Steve45ca,one of the Ontarians is the Albino Rhino,the other is a vaping buddy i helped get into homebrewing he ddoesn;t have a channel on youtube yet. All  good people if you want to hit them up. ;D