• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 23, 2024, 06:46:14 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

alcohol in glass thermometer

Started by WhamBamBrew, April 23, 2015, 10:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhamBamBrew

Where can you buy an alcohol in glass thermometer with range 0-100C in Cork?

Drum

Try the health food shop upstairs in the paul st shopping centre. They have a few homebrew bits, pretty sure i saw thermometers the last time i was in there but that was a while back. Maybe give them a ring first to check (021) 425 1714

WhamBamBrew

Thanks for your reply.  They only have temperature sensitive strips with a colour scale. No thermometers!

dcalnan

Brenann's cook shop might have glass thermometers. They definitely have other thermometers for jam making.

WhamBamBrew

Thanks for that. I'll check it out

WhamBamBrew

April 23, 2015, 10:48:11 PM #5 Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:59:22 PM by WhamBamBrew
Oops just found out alcohol in glass only goes to 70/80C. What is the red/blue stuff in higher range thermometers?

dcalnan

It can be a few things if I remember my leaving cert science, it could be kerosene or our favourite Isoamyl acetate, both have a boiling point above 140. Not many thermometers say what the liquid is but once the scale shows it goes above 100 it'll be grand.

johnrm

Are you badly stuck for one?
Are you doing Kits? Partial Mash? All grain?
Just add one on to your next order.

I have one of these unused...
https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/mash-thermometer-with-protective-cover-p-1486.html

If I could find it.

WhamBamBrew

April 23, 2015, 11:56:01 PM #8 Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:45:55 AM by WhamBamBrew
I really appreciate your assistance but I'm heading for Dublin tomorrow and will detour to Mountmellick on the way and pick up a few. I've an idea at the back of my mind that Brennans liquid in glass thermometers are 0 to 220C. I want better discrimination. I must recheck this and I'll let you know. Oh I'm starting wih an Irish red ale kit. It seems a mix with some grain to cook at 67C  then to 88C. I was going to use a digital multimeter temperature probe but tests have shown that they are very unreliable (probably because they don't like immersion).

WhamBamBrew

I rechecked Brennans and  the range of their thermometers goes to 220C. They have none in the 0 to 100C range

johnrm

Did you stop into Mountmellick?
EUR3.45 for Glass -20C to 110C...
https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/thermometer-12-spirit-p-96.html
Chances are slim to none of getting what you are looking for in Cork.

WhamBamBrew

I picked up three in Mountmellick. I'm just amazed that something as simple as this cannot be found easily in Cork or probably any other major city anymore

johnrm

They can be got in Dublin (Mottley) and in Galway (HBW) but not in the city centre as 90% business is online.
You could probably have ordered one (or 3) in Paul St. Right now that is the only Homebrew Store in Cork.

mr hoppy

Quote from: WhamBamBrew on April 28, 2015, 08:02:48 PM
I'm just amazed that something as simple as this cannot be found easily in Cork or probably any other major city anymore

I think it's  a clear sign that the bricks and mortar retailers are only dabbling and don't really understand the hobby. (I've gone through more thermometers than anything else).