• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:38:35 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lambic Barrel for 2015

Started by imark, May 06, 2015, 10:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imark

Better late than never! Fill date is set for May 16th. Here is the recipe for 25L batches and the options  including mashing:

I need 25L from each contributor. The OG should be 1.050. If it isn't in the barrel by May 16th it wont be going in.

You have 2 decisions to make:
1. Use raw wheat with a cereal mash or used pre-gelatinized wheat (faked or torrified) and skip the cereal mash
2. Make the wort just in time for fill or make in advance and primary ferment with a neutral ale yeast

Ingredients:
Per 25L

4kg of pilsner malt
2kg of unmalted wheat or torrified/flaked wheat
20g 4% AA Saaz (or equivalent to 10 IBU)

Mash:
Option 1 - Incl Cereal Mash - This is required for raw wheat as the first 2 steps are the ceral mash
1. Dough in 2kg of unmalted wheat and 400g of pilsner with 10L @60C
2. Increase temperature to 100C and hold there for 30min
3. Add 3.6kg of pilsner and 3L water. Adjust mash to 70C and hold for 2hrs, stirring regularly, then rest for 30min
4. Sparge with 20L @95C

Option 2 - Infusion step mash - This is best suited if you use flaked/torrified wheat or your kit doesn't suit doing the cereal mash
1. Dough in at 45c for 15min
2. Rest at 50c for 15 min
3. Rest at 65c for 45min
4. Rest at 70c for 30 min
5. Mash out  76c and sparge with 88c water

Boil:
Boil for 2hrs
Add 10IBU low AA hops @60min

DEMPSEY

My brew is on the boil as I speak :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

imark

nigel_c

Quote from: DEMPSEY on May 13, 2015, 03:28:21 PM
My brew is on the boil as I speak :)

So that's where my wheat went  ;)

DEMPSEY

Thanks Nigel :). As I write the buzzer is going off to say de boil it has fynieshed,so as they say in Russia Moscow ;D

imark

Will you post your OG and Volume up when you've get it into fermenter? For the record like!

DEMPSEY

25.5L at 1050sg bang on. A lot of protein so I transferred it to my conical and let it settle,then after an hour drew off the debris then pitched and set temp for 20C. :) I would say there is still some protein left though :(

imark

Quote from: DEMPSEY on May 13, 2015, 08:34:45 PM
25.5L at 1050sg bang on. A lot of protein so I transferred it to my conical and let it settle,then after an hour drew off the debris then pitched and set temp for 20C. :) I would say there is still some protein left though :(

imark

Just to clarify one very important point in recipe for mash option 1, step 3 - The water addition is cold water as you are trying to drop the temperature to 70C.

lordstilton

Brewday from hell.. Started at 11.30 this morning and still sparging.. About 3L left to collect before starting a two hour boil...all while minding two kids

DamienE

40mins into 2hr mash
Looks like it'll be a late one

DEMPSEY

I put my one on to ferment and Mark came to collect it today,it was in full swing with yeast bubbling everywhere :)

DamienE

Yeast.

They're great - aren't they!

DEMPSEY

GarLo

Wow, that was a tough one,started at 12 today, only finished an hour ago. 28L @1050 in a bucket ready for the barrel tomorrow ;D Time to sit down and reflect with beer!!