• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 13, 2024, 12:40:53 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Best Wine Kits

Started by brianbrewed, June 03, 2015, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianbrewed

Hi Guys,
can anyone give me some recommendations for wine kit, preferably with a quick enough turn-around.

itsclinto

I've done 5 wine kits so far and the best wine i found for a quick turn around would be the pinot grigio ones.  I did the Australian Blend Pinot Grigio and its not too bad when young (about 2-3 months).  I was told that its best to make the kit to 19 litres instead of the 23 recommended.  It may be a bit harsh at first but if you can leave it a while the harshness falls out.

Reds are very noticeable taste wise when very young.  I recently opened a Cabernet Sauvignon and it tasted very much like an off the shelf bottle considering it was bottled in November last year.  The rest are put aside for a while longer.

I'm sure somebody else will share their views

HomeBrewWest

Its the Cantinas that are best made to 19 litres. The Australian Blends are good for 23 litres.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Dunkel

I have a DOC's Shiraz/Merlot ready to be bottled in a few days. Interestingly, the instructions say NOT to brew short; but I made it to 21 l anyway, and it seems like it's going to be really good. Early days, I know.

But +1 itsclinto. I made the Australian Blend Merlot Rose recently. It took 10 days fermenting (advertised as 7 days on the box), 2 days clearing, and drinkable as soon as it was bottled. So kit to glass within 2 weeks  ;D