• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 07:50:33 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Gozdawa Apple Cider

Started by Keg, June 11, 2015, 01:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keg

I won this kit in the recent Gozdawa raffle, cheers to Homebrew West for this! The Kit arrived on Monday evening and I put it on last night.

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/gozdawa-apple-cider-16-kg-4765-p.asp

The kit itself is very simple and straightforward, a tin with instructions on the side and a yeast pack.  The kit does call for 1KG sugar which isn't included but that isn't an issue.  The instructions specify re-hydrating the yeast at least 30mins before use.  The sugar is dissolved into 2Litres of hot water, mixed with the tin of concentrate (which smells great), put into the FV and topped up with water to 20 Litres.  OG was 1.04, there are no indications on the tin of what it should be so I'll assume that's on target.  I started fermentation at 24 degrees and the FV had started bubbling after 12 hours or so.

I'll update in a few weeks when it's ready to sample, the kit advises fermentation takes 7-10 days and the cider should be 17-19 days in the bottle.

Keg

OK so it's been about 5 weeks in the bottle, I had the first sample of this 2 weeks ago and the taste hasn't changed since.

The cider as per the instructions is very highly carbonated (it called for 4g sugar per 500ml, that seems like a bit much now).
I found it very dry, and the comment I've had from the other 4 people who tried it is that it's not sweet enough (I guess that could be amended for future brews).  I also think the apple taste is quite weak, that was disappointing because it smelled so good from the concentrate - maybe it would be better if it was brewed to less than 20L.
I haven't brewed a cider before, bit I thought the yeast was impressive, I have never seen fermentation as active as this, nonstop bubbling for a week!

Overall, the Gozdawa Cider is ok, drinkable but I wouldn't brew it again unless I could make improvements to the kit.