• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:03:24 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Double Batch stuck fermentation!!!

Started by Damien M, June 10, 2013, 12:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damien M

Hi,

I brewed 2 similar English ales of 2 core recipes from here, played with the grains a bit, and Hops a fair bit, over the weekend and pitched WL 023 liquid yeast straight from the Vial into the Fermenter at 20-24 degC and Yeast was at room temp. It was my first liquid yeast and hoped/reckoned I didn't need a starter!!!  >:(  THe yeast was right at the edge of the Best Before but not technically out

As of this morning one is upwards of 48 hours with no Fermentation commenced and other is 8 hours behind that with nothing doing either.  I don't have a Fermenting temperature control box haven't had problems getting started before.

I have ordered new dried Safal 04 which I will have this evening to repitch.

Is there any point in doing anything pre pitch to resteralize the Wort? i.e Reboil?

Am I goosed either way and what ever I do will not effect the outcome i.e it will end up somewhere between a fantastic Belgium Trapist and mouldy water!!

This  is the first time I have had a stuck batch so,  How long has anybody had a stuck/failed Ferment before getting it going again and how did it turn out. I am going to carry on  as with most things you learn more from the failures than the sucesses but any additional learnings will greatly be appreciated .

I'm looking for a bit of hand holding really, the beer mentoring kind BTW!!

Damun   

Hop Bomb

A vial of white labs near its BB date has about 14% viability. You defo needed a starter. I did a 1035 OG beer last week with a vial of yeast a week out from the the end of its bb date & I needed a 2.3 litre starter with a stir plate (25 litre batch)  Use Mr.Malty to calculate your pitch rate.  http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Id just re-pitch with the dry yeast & give it a good shake with the lid on to oxygenate. Ive brewed a few times & not pitched yeast until 3 days later (due to not having yeast or forgetting to do a starter or whatever) & havent had any issues.  If your sanitation was excellent & the fermentor was sealed you should be all good.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Dodge

Damun.

As above if doing a 5 gallon batch of beer you are always going to need a starter of some size. Factors like OG, style and obviously best before date on yeast vial will influence of how much a starter you would need. (Unless your doing a very low OG beer and using a very fresh vial could you directly pitch it)

Mr Malty is great in determining how much yeast to pitch since it allows you to pre input the above factors.

What you have is defintly a stuck fermentation.

Again as Hop bomb said if your sanitizetion was good you shouldn't worry and just add your dried yeast. Remember although some people will say just sprinkle dried yeast into wort, rehydrating it is a better practice.

If you need any more help give me a shout. I can always call over

Damien M

HopBomb, Dodge,

I thought the Liquid Yeast would kick off quicker and short circuit getting the dried yeast going pre pitch.

The first rule of Brew Club.. Always talk with the Brew Club.!!!!  Lesson learned!   :D 

I have 2 Safale 04 for a repitch this evening. Rehydrate in sterile water and pitch, and shake the bejeasus, is the plan!

Thanks lads,
I'll put a few aside for the inaugural Midlands Meet up!! If its fit to drink it can be a how to save a batch!! If its not, it will be donated to science or at least the upcoming Cicerone course.
Anytime either of ye are Roscrea way, givus a shout!!