• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:58:02 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mci stout v ale malt

Started by dcalnan, January 16, 2016, 07:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcalnan

Just wondering if you were to buy a bag, which one would you get, I only have the room for keeping one at home. I do both ales and stouts so not sure which one to go for.

Leann ull

molc

What's the different between them in flavour profile? Will need a bag of pale in about 2 months so watching the stores :)

Using the castle pale right now but it's a little dark for pale, more like vienna.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

dcalnan

Ale profile: Due to a special kilning process this malt develops a rich sweet malty flavour and aroma and a rich, golden-amber colour. This malt will give a lasting depth of flavour to your brew and can be used on its own, or combined with other malt types to produce a variety of beers.

Stout profile: With a high extract content and enzymatic strength this malt has been specially developed to be combined with raw adjuncts to provide the foundation of many a pint of famous Irish stout.

Being a mild flavoured malt it can add a smoothness and depth to a beer without being overwhelming on the palate. Having being developed with ease of conversion in the mash in mind it is extremely versatile and can be, and is, used in many styles of beer.

I think I'm going to go with the Ale first, lots of Irish Breweries using it including full irish. And maybe get 5kg of stout from geterbrewed at another stage to compare the two. It would make for an interesting experiment. It's handy having the maltings so nearby.

Leann ull

Jesus that's like reading a horoscope, if you are making 1000l maybe, I think you would struggle to tell the diff imo on a small batch
You can make stout with pale, you may struggle with stout malt on pales and other styles.
I've seen a table on NHC comparing grain types but can't find it.
The pale would be coming to the desert island with me.

DEMPSEY

Used both before and used the stout to make a Guinness clone. Clone was a perfect match for Guinness draft but as regards the malt found that the stout is not as flavourful as the Ale malt so would prefer the Ale. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

dcalnan

Thanks for the help, picking up a bag tomorrow morning.