• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:41:15 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Finings

Started by irish_goat, August 12, 2016, 12:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

Planning on fining my beer for the first time next week. I have Kompactikleer and also gelatin and I'm wondering which is best/should I use both?

LordEoin

I wouldn't use both, but either shoudl be fine.
I think that kompacticleer stuff is isinglass

molc

Gelatin, 1/2 tsp in 1/4 cup of water. Heat in microwave to 68C, stir, throw into fermenter at < 7C. 24 hours later, you should see the results and it will continue to clear in the keg.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

irish_goat

I've bought the Dr.Oetker satchets as well. Was planning on using one satchet in a pint of water.

Don't mind using isinglass, tbh.

Oh Crap

Cold crash first then add gelatin....somehow works better for ne
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

molc

Quote from: irish_goat on August 12, 2016, 01:12:49 PM
I've bought the Dr.Oetker satchets as well. Was planning on using one satchet in a pint of water.

Don't mind using isinglass, tbh.
I use 1 sachet per 6 batches, same gelatin as you.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/ gives everything you'll need.

Simon_

Quote from: irish_goat on August 12, 2016, 01:12:49 PM
Was planning on using one satchet in a pint of water.

Way too much.

Pheeel

One sachet and you will end up with jelly beer. Would make for an interesting trifle..
Issues with your membership? PM me!

irish_goat

Leann ull

August 12, 2016, 04:24:01 PM #10 Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:59:29 PM by CH
its 7g or just over half a packet is what you need

Qs

Quote from: Pheeel on August 12, 2016, 04:03:44 PM
One sachet and you will end up with jelly beer. Would make for an interesting trifle..

;D Not quite.

I used one sachet for ages and wasn't too impressed with the results, cut back to less and its improved my clarity.

Shanna

Can anybody here comment on whether the gelatin would negatively affect bottle conditioned beer? Wondering whether adding it in to the fermenter would cause too much yeast to drop out of suspension?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

molc

It's fine. There's still plenty of yeast in there. Will take a little longer to carb, maybe another week, but otherwise it's the same.

Simon_

This photo shows gelatin in action. This is couple of hours after about 1 gram (half tsp) in about 50ml. The green line is the dry hop that dropped from cold crashing and everything above it has dropped out after the gelatin. You can the globs of protein/yeast forming in suspension and these were all slowly dropping down. A day later there were none of these globs in suspension
I loosely follow the same procedure that Molc linked above. After I pour it in a give it a gentle stir near the surface so as it's dispersed across the top of the fermenter and won't just work down the middle