• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:47:23 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

I think somebody said something about The Gel in the Thing?

Started by Slev, August 29, 2017, 11:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slev

Advice needed:
I have used gelatin before, but not sure if I was impressed by the results, so have assumed that I used it incorrectly. I am also a bit hazy (pun intended) on the correct procedure for dry hopping and then cold crashing and using gelatin to clear.
I have a pale in the fermentation chamber, that I dry hopped Sunday night - 75g of loose pellets at 17c.
so.... do I
a: After 72hrs of DH, chill the beer right down to close to freezing, let it sit there for 36 -48 hrs and not bother with the gelatin
b: add the gelatin now (48hrs) , wait another day , then cold crash  for 36-48 hrs
c: add gelatin at time of cold crashing

also how much gelatin for 20 litres? And , once I cold crash, am I effectively ending the dry hopping oil extraction (if so, with the above schedule, do I say that I have dry hopped for 3 days or 5 days taking in the cold crashing)?

darren996

This is the routine I follow, 1/2 spoon gelatin, 1/4 cup of water

I cold crash in primary, transfer to keg and then add gelatin., carb beer and leave for a week. Others add gelatin in primary or rack to secondary, it's whatever works for you

http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

Simon_

Quote from: darren996 on August 30, 2017, 08:16:05 AM
This is the routine I follow, 1/2 spoon gelatin, 1/4 cup of water

I cold crash in primary, transfer to keg and then add gelatin., carb beer and leave for a week. Others add gelatin in primary or rack to secondary, it's whatever works for you

http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

I use these quantities except in the fermenter so what precipitates doesn't make it into the keg.

Slev

Thanks for the responses.
So.. Add 1/2 teaspoon (2.5g) with 1/4 cup (60ml) heated and stirred to 65c (until it clears), then add to primary when cold crashing starts. And leave for 2 days.

Would it be too much to also add gelatin to the keg?

BrewDorg

I have experience of gelatin in keg and in primary (not both for the same batch). Both of them clear my beer up as well as the other. Only difference is with the keg, your first 2 pints will be a cloudy. It wouldn't do you any harm to put gelatin in both, but as I said, you'll have to dump the first few pints if you do it in the keg, which seems like a waste when the primary fermenter gelatin will have cleared it up nicely anyway.

The main advantage I see to adding in the keg is that I can cold crash, clarify and carbonate in one step inside my kegerator while also freeing up my ferm chamber.

brian_c

How quickly does the beer clear after adding gelatin? I added some to the fermenter last wednesday when I cold crashed (followed Brulosophy method) and kegged on monday. It was still pretty cloudy when I kegged.

TheSumOfAllBeers

25-48 hours is typical, if the haze present is something that gelatin can fix (precipitated cold crash proteins and suspended yeast). It works very well and very quickly at cold temperature.

It's just not working very well on my lager ATM. Be wary that your heat treatment to sanitise the gelatin can denature it too.

Slev

The only reason I was considering gelatin in the keg also, is that I will be bringing the keg to a meet up of friends, who may be on the conservative side of beer things. A clear clean drop in a glass may help encourage them with their 'education'.

TheSumOfAllBeers

If you fine in the keg, leave it settle at home, then draw off the sediment at home, and transport your now bright kegged beer

Simon_

Quote from: Slev on August 30, 2017, 01:59:45 PM
The only reason I was considering gelatin in the keg also, is that I will be bringing the keg to a meet up of friends, who may be on the conservative side of beer things. A clear clean drop in a glass may help encourage them with their 'education'.
The stuff that settles at the bottom of the keg is gonna be shook up when you move it.

Slev

Would do as Sum suggests. Guessing (hopefully)  between gelatin in the fermenter, and then the keg and drawing off a pint or so before moving, that there would be much less sediment to be shock up, unless it turns out like brian_c's above. (they will be an unforgiving crowd. I've known them too long, and taken the piss too much for anything but crystal clear to dampen their powder!)

DEMPSEY

the trade off in using a clearing agent is you do lose some of your delicate aroma's like hop aroma. :(
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

cruiscinlan

Quote from: DEMPSEY on August 30, 2017, 06:36:49 PM
the trade off in using a clearing agent is you do lose some of your delicate aroma's like hop aroma. :(

I don't think there's any proof of that though.

darren996

If you cold crash the beer for a couple of days and transfer to the keg and add gelatin you won't be dumping 2 pints of beer. The first pint will be a bit cloudy or full of vitamin b