• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Abbey Malt

Started by Partridge9, July 16, 2014, 09:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partridge9

Anyone used this malt from the homebrewcompany before ?

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/abbey-malt-whole-1kg-weyermanns-p-2157.html

Was thinking of it in a belgian Wit beer

I am afraid it might make it too dark - which would detract from the beer.

Bubbles

I've just used it in a dubbel but haven't tasted yet. It's supposed to be the same as what the american brewers call "aromatic malt". While it obviously contributes some colour, I doubt it would make your beer too dark. Jamil uses abbey/aromatic in his tripel recipe.

Qs

How much are you thinking of using in the wit?

Partridge9

Well I have a kilo, was thinking 500g

So something like

2kg pilsner
.5kg abbey
2kg wheat
.5 kg torrified wheat

WLP 400

And maybe a little orange zest, haven't made my mind up on that ...

Partridge9

I'm thinking something like a 312 urban wheat but with orange zest

CARA

I used it today in  brown ale recipe ive sort of done before without it-will let ya know in a few weeks what its added
Upa Sesh

Partridge9

Cheers - its Weyermans as well which has gotta be good.

Partridge9

How much did you put into your brown ?

CARA

Upa Sesh

Qs

Quote from: Partridge9 on July 16, 2014, 07:54:28 PM
Well I have a kilo, was thinking 500g

So something like

2kg pilsner
.5kg abbey
2kg wheat
.5 kg torrified wheat

WLP 400

And maybe a little orange zest, haven't made my mind up on that ...

Sounds good anyway.

Northern Brewer says "A Belgian-style honey malt with plenty of malty residual sweetness, excellently suited for Belgian monastery brews as well as lambics and fruit beers."

Eoink

I use their abbey malt in belgian dubbels I think it will add some body,colour and a malty taste to a wit.  I use a similar receipe to yours but with marris otter instead of abbey it probably has a similar but less pronounced effect.

If you are doing a wit you should consider adding coriander seed and a couple of grams of black pepper for that slight spicey effect.

Partridge9

Good advice thanks !

I have a recipe that I add about 10g crushed coriander seed and about 30-50g fresh  orange peel / orange zest.
Never tried adding black pepper -

The flavours that you describe for abbey sound great for a double but maybe not the traits for a wit.

Eoink

I use a lot more corriander 25g but a friend (an industrial lager drinker- so he cant be totally trusted in matters of taste) described it as smelling like a church so it might be worth going easy on it for your first batch.  I only use 2g of black pepper in a 19l batch and you only notice it as a slight spicy aftertaste.

Partridge9

Great stuff - I'll try a little pepper

Only one way to find out !

sittingbull

I have a 50l braumeister and used this .250 kg with 9kg of pils and .500 of buscuit and 1kg of wheat at it came out slightly amber in color but tasted like a belg blond and that lovely LeeFe flavour  pure magic to drink