• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:50:49 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Adding table sugar after brewing?

Started by delzep, November 14, 2014, 08:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

Meant to add some table sugar to a brew I did today but like an eejit I've just realised I forgot about it. Would it be OKto boil it with a couple hundred ml of water and add it once it's cooled?

LordEoin

yeah, that's fine.
You'll have to guesstimate OG but no problem :)

delzep

I was 8 points low on my og ad couldn't figure out why. Made a cup of scald there and saw the sugar beside the kettlethat reminded me

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

delzep

baphomite51

your not brewin that pliny clone again are ya  :P, bleedin sugar messed me up big time on that one

Qs

I've heard adding the sugar to the fermenter is recommended sometimes, especially with more delicate yeast strains. Something to do with letting the yeast work for a while before giving them more simple sugars.

nigel_c

I've seen it recommended for bigger beers so you don't shock the yeast by dumping into a high gravity wort. Dogfish head 120 recipe I saw calls for suger additions every 2 days for a week or 2. Suppose it gets the cell count up and keeps them yeastiea going.

Qs

It was big Belgian styles I seen it recommended, some of those Belgian strains seem to be a bit temperamental. Its supposed to help them attenuate fully if you give the fermentation a day or too and then add the sugar or syrup.