• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 05:29:11 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Porridge! (rolled oats)

Started by beanstalk, March 28, 2015, 06:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanstalk

March 28, 2015, 06:32:37 PM Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:31:37 PM by beanstalk
Are these essentially porridge oats then? Want to make an oatmeal stout tomorrow morn...

robotmonkey

beanstalk

Here's the recipe I'm thinking: Any thoughts? Should I up the % of oats?

I thought i'd go for a slightly higher bitterness because I want to add a fresh vanilla pod in the primary to offset it a little...

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Oatmeal Stout
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 16.31 l
Post Boil Volume: 13.47 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.02 l   
Bottling Volume: 10.19 l
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 111.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 38.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
2.00 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)         Grain         1        83.6 %       
0.05 kg               Chocolate Malt (10620.0 EBC)             Grain         4        2.0 %         
0.05 kg               Roasted Barley (1300.0 EBC)              Grain         5        2.0 %         
0.20 kg               Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                   Grain         2        8.3 %         
12.00 g               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           6        34.9 IBUs     
15.00 g               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           7        3.7 IBUs     
0.10 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (280.0 EBC)   Grain         3        4.2 %         

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 2.39 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Tempera Step Time     
Saccharification  Add 17.77 l of water at 66.8 C          64.4 C       90 min       
Mash Out          Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min               75.6 C       10 min       

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

beanstalk

It's looking like it'll be a little light on colour too maybe I should up the crystal or roasted barley.

DEMPSEY

Porridge is what it is ok :) A typical dry stout recipe would be 70% pale 20% flaked barley 10% roast barley so you could up your roast % to bring up the colour.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

beanstalk

Thanks! Well i think i just might have enough porridge in the house to up the oats a little, but wanna leave some for my working week!

I wonder what porridge would be like soaked in this stout...  ;D

Anyway, here's what i'm thinking now...

Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 16.31 l
Post Boil Volume: 13.47 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.02 l   
Bottling Volume: 10.19 l
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 47.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 38.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
1.86 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)         Grain         1        74.2 %       
0.05 kg               Chocolate Malt (1060.0 EBC)              Grain         4        1.9 %         
0.04 kg               Roasted Barley (1300.0 EBC)              Grain         5        1.8 %         
0.36 kg               Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                   Grain         2        14.2 %       
12.00 g               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           6        34.4 IBUs     
15.00 g               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           7        3.6 IBUs     
0.20 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (280.0 EBC)   Grain         3        8.0 % 

beanstalk

Right so I've brewed this recipe and the OG, instead of the 1.048 estimated, has come out at 1.060! It's bubbling away now, and I have just exactly 11litres in the primary. What went wrong i wonder? did I udnershoot my efficency?

I did it in a simple BIAB.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Have you factored in your liquor calculations? Usually when you see an efficiency spike it means that you ended up with less liquor than you planned

molc

I've had the same happen a bit as I'm dialing in my efficiency in all grain. I just use the dilution calculator in Beersmith to dilute down to the appropriate gravity, both pre and post boil. You want to get the correct pre boil gravity, otherwise your hop utilization will change due to the different concentration of sugars.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

biertourist

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on April 02, 2015, 01:55:32 PM
Have you factored in your liquor calculations? Usually when you see an efficiency spike it means that you ended up with less liquor than you planned

This.  Or this AND you got better efficiency.

I was going to tell you to either mill the rolled oats or crush them well with a rolling pin to get more out of them.

Adam

biertourist

What was your sparge procedure like?  -Single batch, double batch, fly or no sparge?

beanstalk

Cheers folks. I'm still getting used to beersmith, but it was saying no sparge just 18 litres mash water to end up with eleven after boil. I did fly sparge with one litre just to rinse the  bag and bring the pre-boil up to 16litres as it suggested in beersmith but I don't understand how I got such a high gravity. Maybe it was the oats or something. I used lidle jumbo oats, but I would have thought smaller oats would be more efficient?

beanstalk

Beersmith was saying I should have gotten 1.046 gravity

beanstalk

@sumofallbeers: please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean by liquor calculations?

johnrm