• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:24:44 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Minch malt 3.6 EBC- 90 minute boil?

Started by Jay Dee, April 22, 2015, 03:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Dee

Hi Guys,
I ususlly brew with a base malt of 5-7 EBC which works well with a 60 minute boil.  I just got this minch pale ale malt which is 3.6 EBC. 
My questions are:
1) Must I do a 90 minute boild as the EBC is nearly as low as a pilsner malt. 

2) Is there an EBC cut-off point above which a 60 minute boil will suffice? 

The proof will be in the pudding as I just did a brew with a 60 minute boil without considering the risk of nasty volatiles.

I presume I'm not the only one who couldn't resist a 25kg bag of malt for 20 squids!

Qs

I'm going to order one later. €20 is great value. Let us know how the 60 minute boil tastes. TBH I'll probably still do a 90 minute boil to be safe.

beerfly

got a bag last week and never thought about the boil lenght

neoanto

Just bought some of this myself for a brew next week.

Apparently its down to the kilning process of lager malt, its at lower temps so theres more DMS to drive off, so a longer boil is needed.

On HBC site they have two kinds of Minch malt, the pale ale (3.6EBC) and Pislner/Lager malt (3 EBC).
Maybe even though the colours are similar the pale ale is suitable for a regular 60min boil?

Qs

I'm using this stuff tomorrow in a session IPA. I think I'll err on the side of caution and go for a 90 minute boil

DEMPSEY

This malt is produced for Diageo so I would be surprised that they would allow a spec acceptance for 90 minutes as this is more energy thus more cost. An email to them or the supplier would clarify this :).
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Pheeel

Sorry for bringing this up again but did anyone find out/make a decision whether a 60 minute boil is fine?
Issues with your membership? PM me!

LordEoin

Ive used the minch lager malt for my last 3 brews with 60 min boils and they're all fine

Pheeel

Quote from: LordEoin on September 02, 2015, 09:13:58 PM
Ive used the minch lager malt for my last 3 brews with 60 min boils and they're all fine

I'll give the pale a go then :)

Pheeel

Ordered

According to Beersmith and some colour convertors American 2-row is about 3.8 and I rarely did a 90 minute boil when I used that

rukkus

Has anyone done up a beersmith profile for all of the Minch malts? It would be really handy

LordEoin

Please do share once you have it completed Rukkus :)

Leann ull

I've used it a few times based on Mr Murphys recs and yields are good.
Colour is specified as 4-6 which I know is pretty big, but I just used Thomas Fawcett PA profile and it was fine

Jay Dee

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions.  Much appreciated.
I did 60 min boils for all my ales and they turned out very well.

tipp brewer

Anybody finding this malt over attenuates, i find i m hitting my numbers on on og but fg seems to be ending up 6 to 10 points lower than expected. I had been blaming the yeast but this is third brew this has happened on, i mashed high on last brew for full body but worried that attenuation going to destroy any sweetness i was hoping for.