• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 06, 2024, 12:39:37 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Question about Craft Range Blonde Lager

Started by mrklynch, June 17, 2015, 04:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrklynch

Hi guys. Recently purchased the blonde lager kit from Craft Range. Has anyone done this recently? On the instructions sheet it says to
add 650g of sugar in step 3. But been looking on reviews and what not about it but can't find any info about adding the sugar. In the kit was 2 pouches one large and one small, yeast and hops.

Leann ull

June 17, 2015, 05:13:22 PM #1 Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:23:43 PM by Ciderhead
From HBW site

Beer kit specifications are as follows:
Malt Extract: 1.8 Kg lager, plus 1.2 Kg light
Hop Pellet Additions (Dry Hopping): Lager (10 grams)
EBU Range: 18-24
EBC Range: 6-10
Target ABV%: 4.4%
Yeast Strain: Workhorse
Priming Sugar Required: 6 grams of sucrose or 6.6 grams of dextrose per litre

So its already a 3Kg kit and is the sugar there not just to bump the gravity?
Have a look at what LE created in his "early" period which was stickied at the top of the forum about fermentables!.
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,681.0.html

mrklynch

Yes it maybe to bump the gravity but going by the posts others have made of using this kit, they don't say they're adding sugar nor even mention it, Chris did a review about this kit and again no mention of sugar being added.

HomeBrewWest

From step 3 in the instructions:
3. Carefully cut the pouches open and pour the malt extract into your bucket.  Rinse out any remains by rolling and squeezing the pouch remains into the bucket. For IPA, its just one large pouch; add the 650 grams of sugar.

So there is no sugar addition in the lager kit. You can also see this from the kit descriptions here:
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/the-craft-range-beer-kits-326-c.asp

Unlike the lager, these two kits contain both 650 grams of dextrose and also priming sugar:
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/the-craft-range-craft-ipa-beer-kit-365-kg-3698-p.asp
and
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/the-craft-range-citra-pale-ale-beer-kit-365-kg-4051-p.asp

Hope this helps to clear up any confusion.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

mrklynch

Thanks for reply. May sound like a noob here (i am) but why does it mention ipa in this lager kit then and why even mention sugar if no need for it?

HomeBrewWest

Its because the instructions are generic and shared with several of the beer kits.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

mrklynch

Ah right i see. A little confusing for newbies like me. Would it matter if sugar was added?

HomeBrewWest

These kits have been crafted by one of the UK's best known brewers, so I'd normally advise not messing with them. I suppose you could and it would increase the strength, but it would completely change the profile of the beer.

mrklynch

Ok i'll know for next time. Seeing as they do quality kits, it's a shame they can't supply an instruction leaflet for that said kit instead of a one does all IF you know what you're doing. So i've pretty much ruined my kit now by adding sugar because it was mentioned on their instructions but no need for it at all in this kit  >:(

mervynskidmore

Quote from: mrklynch on June 17, 2015, 10:06:47 PM
Ok i'll know for next time. Seeing as they do quality kits, it's a shame they can't supply an instruction leaflet for that said kit instead of a one does all IF you know what you're doing. So i've pretty much ruined my kit now by adding sugar because it was mentioned on their instructions but no need for it at all in this kit  >:(

You definitely haven't ruined the kit, you've probably added a bit more alcohol and reduced the body of the beer slightly. Generic instructions like this are fairly common among kit ranges and I've never really had a problem. Don't get too worked up about it, in a months time you'll probably be delighted with the 40 pints of beer you've brewed yourself. After you've done a few kits, you'll probably chuck the instructions in the fire and start trying a few experiments. In fact, apart from the premium kits, you're probably better off chucking the instructions in the fire.

Drum

Quote from: mrklynch on June 17, 2015, 10:06:47 PMSeeing as they do quality kits, it's a shame they can't supply an instruction leaflet for that said kit instead of a one does all IF you know what you're doing.

Totally agree mrk. The craft range kits are expensive enough. How much does it cost to print a separate instruction sheet for each one? Or add a few lines of text to the existing instructions detailing the different additions for each kit?

@ HBW   If a beginner does a crap beer with his first go they're much less likely to buy another kit and try again. Most beginners will try a lager first as thats what most of the country grew up drinking. Therefore, lager kit instructions should be made very clear and detailed so as not to put off newbies after there first brew

mrklynch

Ok for one, the instructions are NOT generic and Not shared with other beer kits. Have a look at fishjam45 review of the Craft Range IPA, now that does require 650g of sugar added but no mention of it in his instruction leaflet -- '' There is no mention of what to do with the 650g bag of brewing sugar in the instructions.  Maybe some people might find that confusing and not use it at all?''

Yeah i think you're right there Drum, everyone would prob start off doing a lager for the simplicity of things and prob the most favourite in Ireland but if you ask me the Craft Range are not for beginners and if not for this forum i really wouldn't have a clue if i was right or wrong.

Greg2013

I have to ask why if this is "craft range" do you have to add sugar to any of them ? Doesn't that speak to cheaping out on an all malt kit on the manufacturers part ? I have had a look and at that price for something crafted by a pro brewer and considering how they are marketed as being "craft range" there really should not even be a mention of sugar on the instructions,apart from carbing in bottles that is. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Garry

Quote from: Greg2013 on June 18, 2015, 09:51:48 AM
I have to ask why if this is "craft range" do you have to add sugar to any of them ? Doesn't that speak to cheaping out on an all malt kit on the manufacturers part ? I have had a look and at that price for something crafted by a pro brewer and considering how they are marketed as being "craft range" there really should not even be a mention of sugar on the instructions,apart from carbing in bottles that is. ;D

Sugar is a very common adjunct in IPA's. Especially the American ones. It reduces the body to a more drinkable level. Some brewers can't bring themselves to add sugar to the kettle but there's nothing wrong with it depending on the style.

Leann ull

That crappy "Pliny the Elder" bumps abv with it :)