• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:45:17 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Have a Can of Coopers Heritage Lager

Started by RobShamrock, June 04, 2015, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobShamrock

Hey All,

have a can of this sitting with my ever growing stock, every time I buy something online I seem to buy a few extra bits.

So I just put on a hacked kit  (coopers aussie pale ale) which some of you helped me out with a poor mixing query the other day,
its tipping along nicely, but I've a load of other brew stuff in the house as well (Craft Range Berry Cider / Craft Range Blonde) and this coopers heritage that I'd like to also hack and throw on at the same time well a few days behind now as my pale ale hack.

I've plenty of DME about and some left over hops, I've also some LME about as well as some BE2, in hops I've some EKG, and northern brewers in the freezer (leaf) and some Williamette Pellets, so I've loads I can use up

any suggestion as to what might go well with it be great to use some of the in house stuff up, also do I use the kit yeast, I've a couple packets of Mangrove Jack's Workhorse Yeast - 10 grams M10 which I could use.  Got this thinking it might work well
in the warmer summer months as I've no temp control per se.

I was considering using the BE2 and some of the open DME that I've got but not sure about the hops and the yeast.

Hoping to finish them close together and bottle one direct from primary and clean that FV and batch prime the following day the other brew the pale ale. (is it possible to add the priming sugar direct to the FV on one batch ?? )

huge thanks for all the advice, I'm having some craic brewing and drinking all this home brew, I'm well thru all three of my first brews.

Oh Crap

Here's one I did a few years ago.... Best kit hack I ever did.
Heritage lager
1.5 kg extra light dme
100g chocolate malt
50 g carahell
40 g saaz 10 min boil
Kit yeast (but use something else if you have it)

Crush and steep grains in 5l at 150f 30 mins
Add hops at 10 min left
Strain water into fv
Rinse with 2 litres water at 150f
Top up to 21l and cool to 12c (that's for kit yeast, 15/16 for ale yeast)

Pitch yeast
Ferment for 3 weeks
Bottle and leave for 4 weeks (best tasting bottles)
This did not last long :)
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

Dunkel

Quote from: RobShamrock on June 04, 2015, 03:59:05 PM

Hoping to finish them close together and bottle one direct from primary and clean that FV and batch prime the following day the other brew the pale ale. (is it possible to add the priming sugar direct to the FV on one batch ?? )

I might be misunderstanding you here, but if you're thinking about adding the priming sugar to the FV, don't. For batch priming you need to rack the beer into a bottling bucket, to leave most of the dead yeast and other gunk behind. Otherwise, to ensure the priming sugar is evenly distributed, you would need to mix it in, stirring up the sludge at the bottom of the fermenter that you don't want in the bottle. Make your priming solution, pour it into a sanitised FV/bottling bucket, then syphon the beer from your primary FV onto the priming solution (without splashing). This will ensure thorough mixing.

Might be easiest to buy a bottling bucket  :P

RobShamrock

Ta. Yeah understand ya did that for my last batch. just trying to get two brews done before holidays and rather than bottle priming was just wondering anyway to do it the way I mentioned. I'll bottle prime one batch so and the following day after cleaning and sanitizing it I'll use it for batch priming brew no. 2

LordEoin

sounds like a plan.
But take Dunkel's advice and buy another bucket anyway for future brews.
I find 3 buckets is the best so as it allows you to have 2 fermenting/lagering and have a third handy for bottling.

RobShamrock

I shall do that so in time for bottling. Suppose I'll have to add to my stock while I'm at it  :)

LordEoin

Yes. Get more carapils/crystal and hops!  ;D

RobShamrock

On this morning getting a bucket,   going to try out the recipe you gave me
Quote from: Oh Crap on May 07, 2015, 07:29:15 PM
http://homebrewandbeer.com/homebrew/our-homebrews
I started using this site for hacks etc, some nice beers

no carapils in stock though at HBW

LordEoin

RobShamrock

excellent, had it ordered any way bout an hour ago, will let you know how I get on with the recipe in a couple weeks, any hint where to get those oranges these days,  got some carapils also and the bottling bucket, my brew equipment and supplies are growing fast along with empties, might need a bigger shed :)

Oh Crap

You'll end up with lots of specialty grain that you can hack ANY kit you want... That site has some good recipes in it. After one or too you'll see what you like and then you'll be adding your own twist... THEN YOU'LL BE HOOKED. I see all grain in your future WAHHAHAHAHA
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

RobShamrock

Got that coppers on this evening while quaffing some home brew and pizza . Relatively error free evening. Og was 1.062 So well see how low she goes