• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
July 27, 2024, 12:08:38 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cider back sweetening help

Started by Oh Crap, April 01, 2015, 06:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh Crap

April 01, 2015, 06:29:09 PM Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:53:00 PM by Oh Crap
I threw on a 5L turbo cider last Friday, it's doing is thing at the min. I want to back sweeten it when carbonating it. I have lactose to hand so I was wondering how much to add? Or do I add some then taste till it's right? Also re carbing how much sugar per 500ml (thinking 5L might be too small to batch prime)
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

LordEoin

splenda seems to be the backsweetener of choice.

Oh Crap

Quote from: LordEoin on April 01, 2015, 07:18:15 PM
splenda seems to be the backsweetener of choice.
Problem is I hate the taste of Splenda.... I probably should have added lactose before fermenting
Beer

LordEoin

the problem with non fermentable sugars like lactose or maltodextrin is that they're generally not very sweet, so you'll most likely change the body of the beer considerably but still have a fairly dry cider.

Oh Crap

Quote from: LordEoin on April 01, 2015, 07:40:15 PM
the problem with non fermentable sugars like lactose or maltodextrin is that they're generally not very sweet, so you'll most likely change the body of the beer considerably but still have a fairly dry cider.
True...what's the story with xylitol? Is that much different to splenda
Beer

Shanna

Quote from: Oh Crap on April 01, 2015, 07:49:29 PM
Have  you considered using stevia?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Oh Crap

Quote from: Shanna on April 01, 2015, 08:09:46 PM
Quote from: Oh Crap on April 01, 2015, 07:49:29 PM
Have  you considered using stevia?

Shanna
I hadn't...but I will...what is it and where can I get some😀?
Beer

LordEoin

tesco: http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294953305

Pour a few small glasses and try a few different sweeteners, they're no tbad unless you overdo it

Oh Crap

Oh right, it's that easy... I'd never heard of it...cheers lads. I'll be trying different ones.
Beer

Oh Crap

Beer

Oh Crap

Quote from: Tube on April 01, 2015, 10:22:38 PM
If you can at all use natural sweetener. Check my blog for my recent experiences.
Interesting info there.. Cheers
Beer

Hingo

Have the same problem myself. Was looking into priming with juice, use one plastic bottle to fill as a tester and the rest in glass. Step 2 is to wait a day or 2 until the plastic bottle firms up, the pop all the glass bottles into a pot onto the stove and pasturize them in the bottle to kill the yeast. Leaving some apple juice left to keep your cider sweet .

Reading this on HBT but am very wary of this... Anyone else try it? Or will I be guinea pig

LordEoin

if you do that, be sure that you have extremely strong bottles and the lid must be covered.
Otherwise you risk bottle bombs.. well.. more like depth charges surrounded by scorching water.
If they pop you'll have cider reach the ceiling and all 4 walls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1flVlL4Mf8k

Drzava

I've been doing a few 'experiments' with back sweetening turbo cider recently. For my money, xylitol is definitely than artificial sweeteners. I haven't tried erythritol but it's also supposed to be good, but can have a 'cool' taste. I've read mixed reports on stevia. Xylitol is quite expensive - my next batch of turbo cider will be sweetened 50/50 with xylitol and Cologran from Lidl, a mix I've found works well, but is cheaper than xylitol alone. I'll be adding them at a rate of 2 Cologran and 2 teaspoons xylitol per 500ml bottle of cider (plus priming sugar / juice).