• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 05:44:22 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

yeast starter

Started by christhebrewer, August 22, 2013, 09:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

Basically You want enough cells of yeast to make your beer so you stir it constantly in a aerobic state to get the yeasty's to make babies and not alcohol. After that you have enough baby yeast cells made you then pitch it in to the wort and it now is in anaerobic state which means it makes alcohol. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

johnrm

@iMark, pour your wort into a plastic bag, put the bag in a lunch box and freeze. Once frozen you have a stackable Nick of wort!

Sent from my Desire S using Tapatalk 4

Ciderhead

I regularly freeze 2 and 3 Lt milk bottles and defrost or microwave.
Let your wort cool down to 60 or below (Hand hot) and pour it in and freeze

RichC

Quote from: christhebrewer on August 23, 2013, 05:07:33 PM
Just while we're thinking about starters....... Why do we stir our starters? I have assumed it is to give the yeast plenty of oxygen to get max population increase. If this is so, can I just give it a good dose from my shiny new oxygen set up and forget about the stir plate? This would suit me for making bigger starters cos the demijon won't work on the stir plate.
Theres a table/graph I think in the yeast book(in work now so cant look at it), it has growth rates Vs propagation methods for starters, using different agitation/oxygenation methods and the stir plate by far exceeds the yield of any of the other methods. Its not just about oxygenation but it also keeps the yeast in suspension and prevents it from settling out

christhebrewer

I'll keep stirin' it so.

christhebrewer

Did my first BIAB mini mash yesterday and it seems to have worked out fine. It's amazing what you get from 1kg of pale malt!
The only thing I hadn't forseen is the large ammount of break material left in the wort. Of course it hasn't been filtered through hop leaves. Is this a consideration in making the starter? Should I be trying to separate it or just stir it all in and carry on?
Does the yeast actually care?

Eoin

If it's break and settles out, I'd pour it off.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

christhebrewer

That's my reaction too but that's more hassle.
You have to wait for the break to settle, so you cant make a wort and get started the same day
You loose a lot of wort if you want it to be clear
Does it actually do any harm?

Eoin

Quote from: christhebrewer on August 25, 2013, 09:57:07 AM
That's my reaction too but that's more hassle.
You have to wait for the break to settle, so you cant make a wort and get started the same day
You loose a lot of wort if you want it to be clear
Does it actually do any harm?

If it's only starter sized it's irrelevant really I suppose.  The argument against BIAB says that it precipitates a lot of polyphenols which take away from the shelf life of the beer. For this reason I'd skim my boil and add gypsum and strive for as much clarity as possible normally.

Eoin

No chill guys leave their beer on the trub for ages. I suppose it makes little difference.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2