• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:12:46 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

A good Irish Red

Started by DEMPSEY, July 06, 2017, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

Had a bottle of "the Foxes Rock" Irish red last night and was surprised it was nice. Surprised as I did not expect it to be as most Irish reds I find to be a bit boring. This does not knock it out of the park mind but is what it is supposed to be. For those that like reds what is your view on a good recipe for one. :-\
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

irish_goat

Don't have a good recipe but O'Hara's Red and Sullivans are my two favourites. More often than not though it seems like Irish Red is code-word for Smithwicks Clone. 

johnrm

I had a bottle of porterhouse red recently.
Great example.

irish_goat

Quote from: johnrm on July 06, 2017, 03:45:57 PM
I had a bottle of porterhouse red recently.
Great example.

Must give that a go again. Not mad on the nitro draught version.

Damofto

darren996

Second BRU Rua, also 8 degree sunburnt red, Costello's Red

phoenix

There are no good Irish Reds - its an insipid, banal, characterless waste of malt and people who drink it are idiots who hate themselves and know nothing about beer. Theres no such thing as 'Irish Red' either, its a load of makey-up bollox, invented by Americans and sold to gullible gobshites who lack critical thinking skills. How does one commercial example which has changed a million times get its own style? Irish Red is absolute garbage and liking it should mean you are ejected from the NHC.
Ciaran

BrewDorg

How do you really feel though?

cruiscinlan

Quote from: phoenix on July 07, 2017, 04:24:58 PM
There are no good Irish Reds - its an insipid, banal, characterless waste of malt and people who drink it are idiots who hate themselves and know nothing about beer. Theres no such thing as 'Irish Red' either, its a load of makey-up bollox, invented by Americans and sold to gullible gobshites who lack critical thinking skills. How does one commercial example which has changed a million times get its own style? Irish Red is absolute garbage and liking it should mean you are ejected from the NHC.

This why we need to raid the Guinness industrial archives. IRA is an innocent MON.

mr hoppy

Controversial I know but I kind of like Smithwicks Winter Warmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vermelho

Couldn't disagree more. O'Hara's red is a fantastic example of the style. I would suggest you broaden your horizons. I agree smithwicks is awful but don't tar them all with the one brush. Maybe your taste buds are less atuned to differences?

molc

Quote from: Vermelho on July 08, 2017, 12:31:02 AM

Couldn't disagree more. O'Hara's red is a fantastic example of the style. I would suggest you broaden your horizons. I agree smithwicks is awful but don't tar them all with the one brush. Maybe your taste buds are less atuned to differences?

Hehe, have to agree as well - O'Haras Red is a beautiful beer - full of caramel and chocolate. Was a bit of a revelation for me as well, in a style that I best thought forgotten upto that point.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

johnrm

Strong opinion.
I'll stick with mine that porterhouse red is a great example of an Irish Red. (Probably not a big challenge given the 'classic' example.)
In fact I think I'll go to my local offie now and grab a few.
Yum yum.

johnrm

Dammit. They had a run on proper reds.
Porterhouse Red and OHaras all sold out.
A small few Foxes Rock remained, nabbed one, having it now.
I prefer porterhouse, but this is very tasty.

Donny

Great, Now im thirsty!  :P