• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 20, 2024, 12:26:43 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brupak All Grain Bavarian Weiss possibly going south...?

Started by dn218, July 14, 2014, 11:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dn218

Got my hands on some Alfa amylase and some iodine (following an interesting conversation in the chemist about thyroid...) so I put in recommended amount on Friday evening and it Sunday evening now, the fermentation is still stuck, but I tested with iodine and not a trace of blue. The wort smelt amazing tho' the banana clovey notes really coming through but no activity.....I got me a bottle of hefe yeast when buying the amylase, anybody recommend a re-pitch at this stage (7 days later)? Or just notch it up to experience and pitch the FV down the drain?

Damo

What does your hydrometer say?

Is there any chance the lid on your fermenter isn't fully sealed?

dn218

Top is on solid Damo, the hydrometer reading is 1020 so it's come in from 1045, but it's just stuck....
Had a taste and the original yeast has definitely taking hold really tastes like a flat Weiss that's why I'm reticent about re-pitching as It'll be too much...
#PitchorDitch??!

Damo

Hi Dn

Ok, you've nothing to lose at this stage ::)
It's been fermenting 8-9 days at this stage, leave it go another week or so. It might drop a little more.
Prime and bottle as normal, it's not a lost cause just yet!

Keep us posted

dn218

Got it down to 1015 so bottled tonight (finally) still a phenol banana hit off it so I'm hopeful. Had no dextrose so cooked up a batch of DME (about 220g) in 260ml to add for a hopeful carbonation of ~3.8.... We'll see....Had some big White Gypsy bottles ready so I filled & added some candu sugar to help the shit out of the carbonation..... Give it a week or two see what frankenkaner might turn up!!!! May call this one Lazarus....

LordEoin

at 1.015 they probably would have carbed themselves without all the DME and candy sugar.
Keep the bottles low and somewhere that glass shrapnel and spraying beer won't do any damage, just in case.

Ozbrewer

yep - patience.....

Did you give it a good shake and then take O.G readings a couple of days apart before bottling to make sure it has stopped fermenting?

I usually ferment for 2 weeks, and most definitely give the beer a good stir / shake during the process - and never had any adverse affects as a result.

Sounds like a lot of priming sugar there - keep your bottles in a safe place as LordEoin has said. Most likely this will now be over-carbonated.

dn218

dn218

Just a quick update on Lazarus weisse. It has retained its Weiss flavours (along with another few tastes & notes as a result of amylase + crazy racking and bottling!!) it's passable I think for a 1st AG attempt - I will let my peers/betters be the judge at the next Sth Dub meet!! Interestingly enough no bottle bombs. The flip tops that had only DME young beer are mildly carbonated the PET ones I popped a candy granule or two into were as carbonated as I would expect making it pretty drinkable (& that's the goal) So still revving up for BIAB II the American Pale Ale, but I thought I'd do a kit in between to keep myself honed (and stocked) thanks again for all pointers and advice.

Shanna

Quote from: dn218 on August 20, 2014, 12:01:20 AM
Just a quick update on Lazarus weisse. It has retained its Weiss flavours (along with another few tastes & notes as a result of amylase + crazy racking and bottling!!) it's passable I think for a 1st AG attempt - I will let my peers/betters be the judge at the next Sth Dub meet!! Interestingly enough no bottle bombs. The flip tops that had only DME young beer are mildly carbonated the PET ones I popped a candy granule or two into were as carbonated as I would expect making it pretty drinkable (& that's the goal) So still revving up for BIAB II the American Pale Ale, but I thought I'd do a kit in between to keep myself honed (and stocked) thanks again for all pointers and advice.
Hope to taste this at the South Dublin meet next week. I will have a spiced wit beer to compare against.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

dn218

Shanna

Quote from: dn218 on August 20, 2014, 07:44:10 AM
Look forward to the wit beer Declan!
Me too although it will only be carbonated for about 10 days (getting excuses in early :))

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member