• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 12:58:36 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast for bottle conditioning barrel stout

Started by LordEoin, May 27, 2014, 01:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

I still haven't bottled the barrel stout and I'm pretty sure that whatever yeast is in there is well and truely crapped out by now.
It's probably somewhere around 12-13%.
Any recommendations on a suitable yeast to introduce for carbonation?

mr hoppy

Taf

I used nottingham for the first batch I did, and some are nicely carbonated and some flat as a pancake, which I find strange! I've still some to bottle as well, but will probably use the beergun for these, once I get a nice long piece of beer line, and the inclination to do it.

LordEoin

would champagne yeast make it very dry? and would nottingham still work at that ABV?

Jacob

Quote from: LordEoin on May 27, 2014, 02:14:11 PM
would champagne yeast make it very dry?
Sampled same RIS carbed with notty and champagne yeast and both tastes same to me.
Champagne yeast will carbonate it little faster and are more tolerant to the high ABV.

LordEoin

Will_D

Before bottling the lot do a quick test:

Get some 500 ml Lucozade bottles. Rinsed and sanitised.

Rehydrate a pinch of your chosen dry yeasts.

Now prime them with different sugar/whatever yeasts you are thinking of and keep warm for a week and see what happens. May need 2 weeks.

You can watch what happens and feel the bottle stiffen up in your hand!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

beerfly

for a full cornys worth your only looking at about 1g of dried yeast or 10ml of slurry.  i will probably double that to be safe
if your batch priming it make sure the yeast gets mixed in well

Jacob

Champagne yeast comes in 5g sachets so no point of splitting that into two.

Alex Lawes

I'd say S-05. Champagne yeast might attenuate your stout down more. English high-floc stuff is good but it'll dislodge and you'll have a few clumps I'd say. I wouldn't worry about ABV killing it off as much as PH being the main factor. That's why Belgian stuff leans towards champagne over their primary yeast. If your PH is above 4.0 then S-04 would be my choice.
There's also that Lallemand cask yeast that's developed just for repitching and bottle conditioning. You only see in on trade though.