• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 10:19:56 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Keg Kit, Good value ??

Started by Paul86, November 17, 2020, 09:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul86

Hi,

Im just sourcing kegging equipment and would appreicate any advice on the subject.

I have been looking at kegging kits particularly

https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/premium-keg-kit?variant=32384329285713

Is this a good route or would you save much by sourcing the items seperatly.

Ideally I would like a 19L Corny, a C02 regulator, gas/beer lines and a dispensor, (not fussed if its just a picnic one of the moment).

Also do you need your own C02 canister or do you purchase/rent one from the c02 supplier??

Thanks

phildo79

That seems a fair price for what you are getting. I paid about £110 for the same set-up from The Malt Miller but it had a picnic tap, not a flow control tap. Picnic taps are fucking shite, IMHO, and I ended up buying a flow control tap for about £30.

You could probably get all the stuff you need for less if you were able to get a used corny from The Homebrew Company (Louth) for about 40 quid. But what you will find is that a lot of online HBS have varying prices for things so you may have to shop around for the best price. And buying stuff from multiple HBS could mean multiple postage charges.

It's up to you. Have a look at how much it is to source the items yourself and decide if it's worth doing.

Beer lines, connections and kegs are all pretty standard. Regs and faucets are not. I recommend the flow control faucet and doing a little research into regs as you will want a decent one.

As for the gas, you will have to source it from somewhere and put a down-payment on the tank. Refills after that are pretty cheap (mine is £20 for a 6.35kg tank (initial down-payment of £60)) and I got almost 2 years out of it the first time around. Some HBS sell gas canisters (Get 'er Brewed) but they aren't that big (2kg), expensive (£100) and when you go for a refill, will likely be handed a different one in its place. Depending on where you live, peeps on here should be able to point you in the right direction for gas supplies.

Gerryjo

That's afairly decent price and Jonny @BKT is a decent fellow with quick response and excellent customer service as I've dealt with him before.Definitely worth adding the sodastream adaptor for the extra £10 as you can buy a fill adaptor so as to fill a sodastream bottle from your main c02.