• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 14, 2024, 08:25:51 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Homebrew Shop] HomeBrewWest

Started by HomeBrewWest, April 08, 2015, 05:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motorbikeman

Quote from: Beechlawn Brewing on January 25, 2017, 10:43:19 AM
Quote from: HomeBrewWest on January 24, 2017, 08:17:00 PM
A quick google yields:
2258.33 kJ to evaporate 1 litre of water, or 0.627 KWh
This a 2.5 Kw element would evaporate about 4 litres in one hour. So sounds spot on (assuming my maths are correct).

I think a temperature reading of 99 oC can throw a lot of brewers, but water boils at different temperatures depending on the weather (atmospheric pressure). So its only 100 oC at 1000 mbar. Pressure can vary between 950 (low pressure) and 1050 (high pressure). 99 oC corresponds to about 978 mbar which is quite typical here. Pressure also drops significantly with altitude.

So as long as you are boiling off a few litres over an hour, all should be well.

Hope this helps.

Well you see, the problem is the 'Dog didn't lose the volume, it wasn't until I transferred the wort into the old Brewferm and boiled that for another hour did I lose anything close to 4 litres (obviously I lose SOME volume when using the 'Dog for an hour, there was steam coming off the top, but the wort was not moving at all, just sitting there.)

With the 2 elements going at 2500w, your bulldog should be hopping around the place  ..   The boil is much on full power. 
Did you have it set for over 102c?      I lose well over 4L on full power.   Even outside.     

It sounds like you have a problem.

BigDanny84

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on January 27, 2017, 07:26:43 PM
Let me check to see if we have any left, if we do . . . I'll do something for you.
Thanks for sorting me out on the phone today. Great service!

HomeBrewWest

Bulldog Brewer Pumps
Bulldog have released a more powerful power supply for the Bulldog Brewer pump which should solve the sticking pump issue.
Good news is that we ordered one every Brewer sold, better news is that Bulldog are supplying us for free so you get them for free too (if you own a Brewer bought from us or Kevin, TheHomeBtewCentre).

Bad news is that they got the wrong ones . . . with the Euro plug.

Still, we managed to nab the last 4 in the UK. One is already accounted for so that leaves 3.

They will arrive late next week and then I'll put them in stock:
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/bulldog-brewer-new-pump-power-supply-free-for-v1-and-v2-purchasers-6819-p.asp
so keep and eye out for them. 

More will arrive in a few weeks, so please keep the faith.

We've also got an additional 15 free hanging sparge plates on the way for the rest of the V1 owners:
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/the-bulldog-brewer-all-in-one-grain-brewing-system-top-plate-free-for-v1-purchasers-6539-p.asp
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

HomeBrewWest

February 03, 2017, 08:05:42 PM #588 Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:20:55 PM by HomeBrewWest
MasterPint 1.6 Kg Beer Kit / Hack / Extract Base Special Offer
At Euro 8.95 on special, these remarkable 1.6 Kg kits are ideal for kit hacking / extract brewing. We've got 12 in the range but they are growing so fast we can't keep up so we only have EBU and EBC data on five of them:
Lager   6-10 EBC   20-25 EBU
Continental Lager kit   8-12 EBC    25-30 EBU
Pale Ale   12-16 EBC    35-40 EBU
Czech Pilsener   8-12 EBC   30-35 EBU
Bitter   35-40 EBC   35-40 EBU
Data for the rest in on the way.

We figure that LME is almost as expensive, especially when you add the cost of yeast . . . but these kits already come with varietal dry yeasts so you may be able to work with them. Suck it and see I guess.

Could be fun to just dry hop these and see what happens. Or use them as an LME base for a full extract brew.

These prices are way below UK RRP (£9.99 to £10.99) and we can only offer this short term, or until stores stock them in Ireland.

If there is sufficient demand though, we might be able to do something for extract brewers and kit hackers.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

MisterBurns

Hi Brian,

Not sure when you stopped fulfilling orders for "collect at shop" for same day all grain kit orders but can't find anywhere on your site or here about this. Very disappointed that I won't be brewing in the morning particularly when I ordered in the AM and was looking to collect at 4:30pm. Assume you'll cancel and refund the order as i've no use for it Monday.

HomeBrewWest

It's a security thing when we only have one staff member working on a Saturday. We've told most customers. Guess I better post it on the web site. The problem is he can't go to crush grain and leave the shop unattended. But I can meet you there tomorrow afternoon (Sunday), or ship it to you free. Or refund of course. Sorry for the inconvenience.

MisterBurns

Thanks Brian. If you are available tomorrow I'd greatly appreciate it. What time works for you?

HomeBrewWest

February 04, 2017, 08:09:31 PM #592 Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:14:56 PM by HomeBrewWest
Sorted. Best to call an hour before you collect because we only crush just before pick up.

MisterBurns

Lifesaver Brian. Thanks for quick comeback on this and sorting it out.

HomeBrewWest

Kilner Swingtop Bottles
I saw some posts about seal issues, but we've sold thousands and have never heard of any problems. The Kilner bottles come with silicone seals which should not perish like rubber seals. This video shows us opening one that was bottled in October, about 4 months ago. As you can see it keeps its seal perfectly. As far as I know other swing top mechanisms will not work on Kilner bottles, so I wonder if some have bought the bottles without the swings from us and then bought the wrong swings later?
https://youtu.be/bruU6xOIkGo
Any tips on how to embed the video here?

Shanna

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on February 06, 2017, 04:26:22 PM
Kilner Swingtop Bottles
I saw some posts about seal issues, but we've sold thousands and have never heard of any problems. The Kilner bottles come with silicone seals which should not perish like rubber seals. This video shows us opening one that was bottled in October, about 4 months ago. As you can see it keeps its seal perfectly. As far as I know other swing top mechanisms will not work on Kilner bottles, so I wonder if some have bought the bottles without the swings from us and then bought the wrong swings later?
https://youtu.be/bruU6xOIkGo
Any tips on how to embed the video here?
Hi there,

I bought several batches of the bottles from you over the last 6 months but only got to use them very recently (equipment problems and family life got in the way of brewing). I recently did a stout with them and at a recent tasting people remarked how flat the beer (an oatmeal stout). People suggested it was my sugar % that I used to get the carbonation. However I use a carbonation calculator and previously I have not carbonation problems (in fact its over carbonation :-)) so I was sceptical. I recently tried a few of the batch that were crown capped and the carbonation was on the low side but no where near as flat/low as the beer from the kilner bottles. I have subsequently done an American Amber and Wit beer in a mixture of crown capped and kilner bottles with the silicon seals. I have not tried them yet as they are still carbonating. Once they are done I will compare the two and let you know what if any results I have.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Dr Brown Ale

Hi Brian,

I'm a Bulldog V1 person, just wondering what the situation with the pump is? Will you be getting more? It's out of stock on the site.

HomeBrewWest

The few we got are all gone. As soon as we get news of more, I'll post here first.

auralabuse

My pump has not stuck and I have a few solar pumps on standby should it fail. What is the replacement power supply?, is it a higher voltage?. I have loads of power supplies so could probably just swap it myself

http://www.soundcloud.com/aural-abuse

Leann ull

Quote from: auralabuse on February 09, 2017, 10:20:58 AM

http://www.soundcloud.com/aural-abuse

did you mean to to attach this Alan? Girls in the office want to know why I'm waving my arms about