• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 24, 2024, 06:50:33 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Question about Craft Range Blonde Lager

Started by mrklynch, June 17, 2015, 04:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

June 18, 2015, 11:04:24 AM #15 Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:19:45 AM by Greg2013
Quote from: Garry on June 18, 2015, 10:04:27 AM
Quote from: Greg2013 on June 18, 2015, 09:51:48 AM
I have to ask why if this is "craft range" do you have to add sugar to any of them ? Doesn't that speak to cheaping out on an all malt kit on the manufacturers part ? I have had a look and at that price for something crafted by a pro brewer and considering how they are marketed as being "craft range" there really should not even be a mention of sugar on the instructions,apart from carbing in bottles that is. ;D

Sugar is a very common adjunct in IPA's. Especially the American ones. It reduces the body to a more drinkable level. Some brewers can't bring themselves to add sugar to the kettle but there's nothing wrong with it depending on the style.

Just my opinion is all but you shouldn't need to add sugar to any all malt kit,if you do to me that means something is wrong to begin with,if you are doing an all grain sure you may have to and i have done several times i have nothing against,but any kit being marketed as all malt should not even mention adding sugar and definitely not at that price. if you need to reduce body brew it with more water or dont use all the malt,if you have to use sugar then why not just go kit and kilo for half the price,adding sugar to an all malt kit defeats the purpose of an all malt kit IMHO ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Quote from: Ciderhead on June 18, 2015, 10:08:10 AM
That crappy "Pliny the Elder" bumps abv with it :)

Well it is USA and they do like their sugar after all cause it has to go in everything. :P
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

nigel_c

There is a big difference a kit and a kilo then using sugar in a recipe which calls for it.
You try making a Belgian triple without the sugar additions and you will get nothing like the clean crisp finish you can only get with sugar.
It ferments out completely and raises ABV with adding body. Darker sugars will give different flavors you just cant get with malts.
Back to ipa. 650g of sugar will give you about 8 points of gravity. these 8 points can push a beer from session to big boy beers. That added body could leave the FG high and out of balance for the style. IPA (in my opinion) should not be over sweet allowing the hops to shine.
Some of the best beers in the world use a lot of sugar.
Westy 12 gets just under 20% of its fermentables from sugar and Pliny gets around 7%.
Sugar is great when used correctly and to style.

Greg2013

Quote from: nigel_c on June 18, 2015, 11:42:04 AM
There is a big difference a kit and a kilo then using sugar in a recipe which calls for it.
You try making a Belgian triple without the sugar additions and you will get nothing like the clean crisp finish you can only get with sugar.
It ferments out completely and raises ABV with adding body. Darker sugars will give different flavors you just cant get with malts.
Back to ipa. 650g of sugar will give you about 8 points of gravity. these 8 points can push a beer from session to big boy beers. That added body could leave the FG high and out of balance for the style. IPA (in my opinion) should not be over sweet allowing the hops to shine.
Some of the best beers in the world use a lot of sugar.
Westy 12 gets just under 20% of its fermentables from sugar and Pliny gets around 7%.
Sugar is great when used correctly and to style.

Belgians are the exception though and i will admit to that.  ;)

I am not getting pissy again guys i swear(for want of a better word),i can see the need if brewing to style for a competition or brewing an AG where you need an ABV boost due to bad efficiency.However this is a kit that is marketed as an all malt kit and as such i cant wrap my head around why if it is an all malt kit you would need to add sugar.Also commercial breweries are different and may have a need to use sugar. ;D

And afaik traditionally IPAs were all malt and did not use sugar,trying ti understand here guys is this simply because this is a "murican" IPA that the sugar needs to be added ? ;D

Greg2013

Guys i apologize if i am coming across like i am going off on one again,not my intention at all,i am taking a break from AG for the forseeable future and not having done kits frequently in a while and there being so many new ones out i am researching what is new is all,the sugar thing is a new one on me is all i a trying to say. ;D

Brain Fart: My all time numero uno mass produced beer Theakston Old Peculier,i just realized that has sugar in it :o Ok i am going to go hide in the corner now :(

molc

Yup sugar in an ipa will give you a drier beer, which is easier to drink and let's the hops shine more.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter