• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 11:35:08 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

True Batch Brew all-grain Porter kit (with equipment)

Started by derfel, February 23, 2014, 09:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garry

Pity! I thought we had the first entry in the brewer's wives series  :(

Greg2013

Quote from: Will_D on February 24, 2014, 08:02:13 PM
Jeez you have to careful posting photos here ???

Auld eagle eyes (aqnd there are many) will spot the most modest infraction!

True Will but i seem to remember a pic on here last year where a certain person was showing his brew gear on a sunny day in his back garden, including the lump of dog shit in the corner of the pic  :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

Quote from: Greg2013 on February 24, 2014, 10:32:47 PM
Quote from: Will_D on February 24, 2014, 08:02:13 PM
Jeez you have to careful posting photos here ???

Auld eagle eyes (aqnd there are many) will spot the most modest infraction!

True Will but i seem to remember a pic on here last year where a certain person was showing his brew gear on a sunny day in his back garden, including the lump of dog shit in the corner of the pic  :o

That was an adjunct, an elephant never forgets :P

derfel

I thought  it would be the Kong that got the mention.

Greg2013

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

LordEoin

NHC members not get a 10% discount on http://truebatchbrew.com/
Currently they have Porter and Pale Ale, but they'll be launching a 'Hoppy Amber Ale' at the end of March.

Ciderhead

Nice job LE
Definitely a great present.

Motorbikeman

Bought one of the ale top up kits as I have all the rest of the gear from doing coopers kits and the bottles are 11 euro in Tesco.

Comes to 22.50 with shipping. 

What I dont understand about the review is why do you need to use a pint glass and syphon tube as an air lock and then move to a standard airlock.   
Why not just bung a standard airlock in from the start?

Garry

Quote from: Motorbikeman on March 21, 2014, 12:40:16 PM
What I dont understand about the review is why do you need to use a pint glass and syphon tube as an air lock and then move to a standard airlock.   
Why not just bung a standard airlock in from the start?

If you get a very vigorous fermentation it could foam out through the air lock and potentially infect your brew. The blow-off tube is a belt and braces air-lock for the first few days of the ferment. The standard airlock would probably be fine if there is enough head space in the FV.

derfel

the fermentation is indeed very vigorous, and if you use the supplied carboy you'll run into problems with the standard airlock as Garry said.

I'm looking forward to trying the new amber kit.

True Batch Brew

Thank you Brian for such a detailed and informative review, it's great to see folks enjoying the Kit.

re. The Airlock. Just to be clear, the Demi John / Carboy supplied works fine with airlock supplied. Once you do as Gary said use Syphon to Pint glass/Jug for first few days of fermentation, as per our instructions.

Hope to see any Dublin based brewers this Saturday at 57 The Headline. 1-5. Geoff is putting on some specials at the bar, we'll have the New Kits and Top ups, loose grain, hops and other brewing equipment available on the day. Plus a few tasters of course!
Cheers!

LordEoin

will you be selling grain and hops on your site soon?

Motorbikeman

Got a question  .    Maybe Brian or true batch can help. 

I went to Heatons and Woodies to get a funnel and sieve.   They had around five different type on sale between them 

I got one.  It is the biggest I could find.   It nearly 8" wide.    Only 4euro in Heatons.   

I poured the contents of the Pale Ale grain bag into it.   It only took 2/3 of the bag before it started to over flow into the bowl. 

It does say a large sieve has to be used in the instrucions.  But how much bigger than this do they get?    Does the contents shrink or get smaller when boiled?   
Do you think this one will do?

AJ_Rowley

Get yourself a colander. I do 5 litre batches and its what I use. Then when transfer back to boil kettle use a sieve to to catch the finer malt particles.