• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 07:44:01 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Bulldog Triple Tykes Special Export Ale - 4kg Kit

Started by Garry, April 15, 2013, 11:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

The trees are good and sturdy.
They hold Franciscan Well bottles.

Shanna

I use one of the trees for draining glass swing tops. Have not had any problems with the weight of the bottles but spacing them properly so that I can fit approx 40 bottles can be  challenging.

Shanna

Quote from: LordEoin on May 03, 2013, 04:30:22 AM
Wow, you've got all the toys!
What do you think of that bottling tree for the heavier glass bottles? I've had my eye on one those for a while.
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Garry

Quote from: LordEoin on May 03, 2013, 04:30:22 AM
What do you think of that bottling tree for the heavier glass bottles?
No problem with heavier bottles Eoin, I had a few 1L glass bottles on it last week when I was bottling a wine. When you're putting on the bottles start from the bottom and work up.

The bottle tree is great but it probably isn't essential. I was using a sheet of ply with holes in it to drain the bottles and this did the job quite well too. I would definitely recommend the bottle washer though. It says on HBW's website that the washer in not suitable for the coopers plastic bottles but it works OK for me, you just have to hold the bottle at the edge of the nozzle when squirting in the sanitiser.

Garry

Quote from: johnrm on May 02, 2013, 10:32:07 PM
Groovy looking chamber.
Have you got the build detail?

Here it goes John:

I got 3 sheets of 1200x600x55 aeroboard (2400x1200 sheets are cheaper but they wouldn't fit in my car!). The kingspan or xtratherm insulation would actually be better if you can stretch the budget?

These can be cut with a sharp knife or wood saw (the knife makes less of a mess though).

You need to cut:

4 no. 600x600 for the top/bottom and 2 sides.
2 no. 600x490 for the front and back.

I used long wood screws (ø4x70)  to hold it all together before taping up the joints with duct tape.

The front panel is the "door". I didn't make any fancy hinges or anything, it just pushes in and out.

Here's a detailed plan!!:

I put a 4mm piece of ply on the base so the fermentor won't tear the aeroboard when I slide it in and out.

The lead is wired up to a standard central heating type room stat which is wired to a 40w bulb.

johnrm

That's super.
Deserves a thread on its own.
No Cooling though?
There a certain shiny fella in Dubland looking to cook up a handy ferm chamber...

Garry

Quote from: johnrm on May 03, 2013, 08:51:12 AM
No Cooling though?

I have a 2L bottle of water in the freezer and I put this into the box if the temperature gets too cozy. I might have to come up with something a bit more efficient soon with summer coming. I was thinking of a computer fan or something and maybe replace the stat with an stc-1000?

stanwellback

Why did you add vinegar to the bleach, correct me if i'm wrong but if you add an acid to bleach it will release chlorine gas, not good for the lungs

Garry

Quote from: stanwellback on May 03, 2013, 04:50:25 PM
Why did you add vinegar to the bleach, correct me if i'm wrong but if you add an acid to bleach it will release chlorine gas, not good for the lungs

Yes, if you add neat vinegar to neat bleach it will release chlorine gas, please don't do that!

If you add the bleach to the water, then add the vinegar like I've shown,  it creates a no-rinse sanitiser. I don't know the science behind this but I'm sure someone else will chime in. I think the vinegar reduces the ph of the bleach or something? All I know is it works.

Garry

May 30, 2013, 08:58:55 AM #24 Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:27:42 PM by Garry
My review:

First off, I'm not a connoisseur and it will be a long time before I'll sit the BCJP exam! In fact, I'd happily suck on a few pints of Carlsberg on a night out  :o There, I said it!

I have this kit bottled with 5½ weeks now. I tried one at two weeks old and it was too flat with a very strong banana aroma and taste. At 3 and 4 weeks the carbonation was getting better and the banana was fading. I tried another one last night. It's probably carbonated to the right level now for an English style beer? The carbonation is like a cask pulled ale. The instructions said 1 carbonation drop per 500ml bottle so that's what I used (I normally use 1½ or 2). The beer is very clear now with a dark red colour. The banana appears to be gone. The aroma and taste are strong dark fruit. It reminds me of a red wine actually. It could probably do with more conditioning since the FG was highish at 1014. It's a bit heavy for my taste to be honest but this might mellow down in time. Or maybe I need to man up?

I'll bring a few bottles along to the Brew It Yourself expo at the Franciscan Well in a few weeks (22nd June) if anyone wants to give it a try. I'll get some expert opinions there for sure and will report back.

LordEoin

johnrm

derfel

very handy writeup. I got one of these kits the other day so I'll be trying it soon.
I'd never have thought of sanitising the scissors !