• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:39:15 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cider From Last Group Buy Of Fresh Pressed Apple Juice.

Started by Greg2013, February 18, 2014, 12:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

February 18, 2014, 12:55:42 AM Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:09:01 AM by Greg2013
In the last group buy i got two 25 litre drums of fresh pressed apple juice, dosed both with 15 campden tablets each, added 4tsp pectolase to each drum also. The following day i transferred each container into a sanitised glass carboy, pitched Lalvin EC 1118 into one and Vintners Harvest SN-9 into the other. The results for both were the same surprisingly as you can see below;

O.G. : 1048

F.G. : 998

ABV : 6.63%

Both of these came out dry as Ghandi's sandal  :o

The SN-9 dropped a lot of trub,from 25 litres of juice i got about 20 litres of cider. The Lalvin EC 1118 i got about 23 litres of cider from 25 litres of apple juice.

Today i kegged the SN-9 and added sorbate to kill off the yeast, i forgot i had previously pasteurised it so this step was unnecessary really, this keg will be back sweetened later this week with either sugar or reduced shop bought apple juice. Batch primed the EC 1118 with 150 grams table sugar and bottled into 43 sanitised swing tops and stuck it in the cupboard to carb up  ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

Ah pineapple chunks seem so very far away now, well done!

Greg2013

Quote from: CH on February 18, 2014, 01:16:11 AM
Ah pineapple chunks seem so very far away now, well done!

Funny you mentioned that(feck ya) but in moving stuff around yesterday i actually found a bottle of that and stuck it in the fridge  :o

Is it normal for that much loss from 25 litres of juice though like what i got with the SN-9 ? It is a beast but damn that was a lot.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Will_D

Quote from: Greg2013 on February 18, 2014, 12:55:42 AM
The SN-9 dropped a lot of trub,from 25 litres of juice i got about 20 litres of cider. The Lalvin EC 1118 i got about 23 litres of cider from 25 litres of apple juice.
A certain Welshman I know (very well) collects that amount of trub in either Demijohns or better Pet bottles.

I He Bungs in fridge and waits.

Can usually decant off 75% of it!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Greg2013

Quote from: Will_D on February 18, 2014, 10:04:09 AM
Quote from: Greg2013 on February 18, 2014, 12:55:42 AM
A certain Welshman I know (very well) collects that amount of trub in either Demijohns or better Pet bottles.

I He Bungs in fridge and waits.

Can usually decant off 75% of it!

Will D so that is not unusual to have that much trub fall out ? :o I must remember that trick for next time cheers. ;D

Will_D

Quote from: Greg2013 on February 18, 2014, 10:43:44 AM
Will D so that is not unusual to have that much trub fall out ? :o I must remember that trick for next time cheers. ;D
It not unusual - the 2014 juice dropped more trub than the 2013.

Also if you press your own you may drop a lot.

Also if you add fruits to the initial ferment (red berries etc) you can expect a lot!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Greg2013

Thanks to some discussion with CH i tried some of the kegged cider tonight and kept adding measured amounts of Dunnes finest apple juice until i found the level of sweetness i liked. Worked out that i needed to add 4 litres of apple juice to my cornie but i did not have that muh room so what i did was i poured 4 litres into a pan and reduced it down to 2 litres and tipped it into the keg.Will let it sit a couple of days and sample again 8)