• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 09:47:31 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Capital Brewer's Indian Summer Beer Competition

Started by Hingo, June 11, 2016, 01:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partridge9

Folks, seems to be a lot of interest in the BJCP course today, anyone wanting to jump on it, there are 3 slots available for the last three classes.
Thats, Belgians / Stouts / Light beers - with the off flavours split over the last two.

If you want one of the slots - its members only, 45 euro for 3 classes, please email

bjcp@nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Well done to the lads today for all the organising, and apologies for the shameless spamming !!

mick02

Thanks for organising this competition folks. It was my first ever competition. I'm elated to have won a gold and silver today! Really impressed by the feedback left on my score card too. Thanks to all involved.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

NHC Committee member

pob

Big thanks to Richard, David, Ciaran, Fionn & all the little helper elves, sorry mean the Stewards; really was a very well run competition in a great venue.

Great to catch up, have a beer & shoot the breeze afterwards with you all too (that, was definitely not a 5 min walk)

Parky

A big thanks to the organisers of the Capital Brewer's Indian Summer Beer Competition, great day out and a great venue too (highly recommend the Calzone! ;)). Couldn't have gone better on the day I thought, and thanks also to the stewards and judges for helping it all go so smoothly.

molc

Terrific standard of beers there on the day. We'll done to all involved and also to all who entered.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

BrewDorg

Thanks for organising and running this lads, special mention to hingo for picking up our entries in Kilkenny! I'll have to improve my planning and recipe for the next one. The link posted earlier about planning for a change in IPA flavour over time is particularly relevant. It was lovely 1 week in the bottle and went downhill until judging 4 weeks later.

Can't seem to find my score sheet on the site. Am I missing an obvious link or is mine one of the missing ones (no panic with it)?

itsclinto

Quote from: BrewDorg on August 29, 2016, 09:35:29 AM
Can't seem to find my score sheet on the site. Am I missing an obvious link or is mine one of the missing ones (no panic with it)?

Just to let you know that i'm the same, can't see the scoresheet link.  Its no problem as i'm chuffed with my score.

Fair play on organising this and with the swift upload of the results.  You are fairly on the ball there with no messing around.  I might have to ask you to review my brothers score as he finished third in the ipa category with a 44 with his first brew  :P

Simon_

Quote from: phoenix on August 27, 2016, 03:59:11 PM
Results, scores and scoresheets are up on the competition website. Any errors or omissions please let me know.

Well done to the winners and thanks to all who volunteered and entered.

Thanks for getting the score sheets out so quickly. I am finding it hard to make out any of the writing though. It's for all 4 sheets so think its a scanning issue more than the handwriting.

Leann ull

Quote from: itsclinto on August 29, 2016, 09:53:12 AM
I might have to ask you to review my brothers score as he finished third in the ipa category with a 44 with his first brew  :P

Standard must have been solid as I tasted Molcs and it was well up there and he only placed third in his category.

A high score does not reflect in BOS, it's a beauty contest of the beers in front of the BOS judges.

A judge marked a beer 50 in the Nationals once, it didn't win the BOS or cat though.

itsclinto

Quote from: CH on August 29, 2016, 10:36:35 AM
Standard must have been solid as I tasted Molcs and it was well up there and he only placed third in his category.

A high score does not reflect in BOS, it's a beauty contest of the beers in front of the BOS judges.

A judge marked a beer 50 in the Nationals once, it didn't win the BOS or cat though.

Yep. I understand fully the standard was really high.  I've a bottle of his in the fridge that i'll open during the week.

I probably wasn't clear in what i was saying, it was just that it was his first competition and he did really well in comparison to me.  Hence he won't be brewing on my system anymore  :P

molc

Quote from: CH on August 29, 2016, 10:36:35 AM
Quote from: itsclinto on August 29, 2016, 09:53:12 AM
I might have to ask you to review my brothers score as he finished third in the ipa category with a 44 with his first brew  :P
High standards indeed - I didn't place at all in my category btw - it was a 35 in the end (judged to have too much alcohol warmth, way too bitter and... something (couldn't read the sheet). Think the top of the cat was 42 and 45, so a good gap to get to the next level. Will have to keep working at that recipe ;)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Pheeel

Things you don't hear about American IPAs "it's too bitter"!!
Issues with your membership? PM me!

phoenix

I rescanned the scoresheets and uploaded to Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2kJ9KkOazDmeUtyU2VhZkx3WEE&usp=sharing

Log into the system to determine your entry number, there should be two sheets, a & b, for your entry.
Ciaran

CClinton48

Quote from: Pheeel on August 29, 2016, 02:23:37 PM
Things you don't hear about American IPAs "it's too bitter"!!

That's my exact feedback...needs more bitterness, bite.

More than happy with how the competition went though. Thanks to all involved.