• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:59:59 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Portable Reverse Osmosis system

Started by Acott, June 19, 2017, 03:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acott

Well lads,

I currently live in rented accommodation and was wondering if there was something like a portable RO system?

I came across this one, but the price range is crazy. Do you think the likes of this would produce similar results?

johnrm

Acott

I don't mind the case, more so if the 4 stage will produce good RO water for brewing / drinking as it said it's for Marine/Aquatic use  :-\

Dr Jacoby

Every little helps

johnrm

That box above is 35l.
Bit big for the job!

Qs

Quote from: Slev on June 19, 2017, 06:26:34 PM
These do the job. Very small and portable
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_1_3?k=ro+unit&sprefix=Ro+

I've one of these and I agree. Theres no special box with it but the cardbox it comes in isn't big at all and the system seems to work fine for me and is reasonably quick.

Acott

Quote from: Qs on June 20, 2017, 01:54:01 PM

I've one of these and I agree. Theres no special box with it but the cardbox it comes in isn't big at all and the system seems to work fine for me and is reasonably quick.

Hey Qs, do you just connect as you need it or do you leave it connected? Is your system 4 stage or 3 stage?

Appreciate the help!

Slev

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/equipment-chemicals/3-stage-mains-powered-ro-worth-it/

Bit of a discussion here.

I connect mine as needed. (but i have had to change the membrane after 6 months, as the out put slowed dramatically. I do have a very hard source of water. One of the other folks on here, has suggested that regular use may be better for the membrane life).
I just leave it sitting on the ground when in use, and packbit away in a box when not. Takes up little room

Acott

Ah brilliant, it sounds bang on for what I need then!

Cheers Slev!

Qs

Quote from: Acott on June 20, 2017, 02:13:09 PM
Quote from: Qs on June 20, 2017, 01:54:01 PM

Hey Qs, do you just connect as you need it or do you leave it connected? Is your system 4 stage or 3 stage?

Appreciate the help!

3 stage. Yeah I just keep it in the shed and screw it onto the outside tap whenever I brew. I've done 3 or 4 brews with it now and I'm quite happy with how its working out for me.

Now I've no way to really check well its working and I'd pretty soft water anyway but I've been happy with the beer I'm making since I got it.

Ceedee

As a "newbie" to the homebrew scene, I'll not be wanting to go down this road for quite some time, but just curious....Does RO give you basically water with all minerals removed and you then add what you want to match the beer style you are brewing ?

Qs

Quote from: Ceedee on June 21, 2017, 08:23:52 PM
As a "newbie" to the homebrew scene, I'll not be wanting to go down this road for quite some time, but just curious....Does RO give you basically water with all minerals removed and you then add what you want to match the beer style you are brewing ?

Yep. Thats the idea anyway.

Ibecake

What flow rate do you get on the output. I have under sink RO installed at home and the flow rate is terrible, grand for a glass of water but not for 30L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

molc

I use my under sink Ro. I just disconnect the out and put it to a plastic 25L container for about 6 hours to fill. I need 30-40 for a brewday and I have 2 containers
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter