• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:35:49 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Portable Reverse Osmosis system

Started by Acott, June 19, 2017, 03:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slev

Quote from: Ibecake on July 02, 2017, 09:50:02 AM
What flow rate do you get on the output. I have under sink RO installed at home and the flow rate is terrible, grand for a glass of water but not for 30L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/equipment-chemicals/3-stage-mains-powered-ro-worth-it/msg158903/#msg158903

Ibecake

Quote from: Slev on July 02, 2017, 06:07:42 PM
Quote from: Ibecake on July 02, 2017, 09:50:02 AM
What flow rate do you get on the output. I have under sink RO installed at home and the flow rate is terrible, grand for a glass of water but not for 30L.

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/equipment-chemicals/3-stage-mains-powered-ro-worth-it/msg158903/#msg158903
Sorry Slev prob should have read that first . Quiet a bit of wasted water in the process is it wort it.

Slev

No worries. Buried in a thread. I was just been lazy There is a bit alright, but you can collect and use for other purposes.
I added a pump with results in approx 9l per hour.
Perhaps the higher capacity ones give better output (other folks on here, have indeed quoted a higher output rate) 

Slev

But is it worth it? - in my case, i feel it is. My water is very hard. My pale ales, or ipas always had a certain off flavour, which i associated with my water, rightly  or wrongly.  Haven't noticed it since using ro with minerals (however, more likely, was the fact that when i was using the hard water, i was only starting out, and as my process  control began improving, it coincided with me using ro water, to produce better beer.)

But thats just my opinion. As other folk (irish goat, i think) have said, probably better getting all your other processes nailed down first, before fretting about your water (if your water is any way ok)   

auralabuse

What kinda off flavour were you getting with your IPA?. I have ro water but still getting the same off flavour. Can't put my finger on it. I'm gonna bottle a few and try run it by a few experts on here if anyone is willing

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Slev

Was mainly a harshness, that i was attributing to the water (bear in mind, this was only a notion of mine) but any pa or ipa would have a harsh bitterness, even when i reduced the bittering additions. And the flavour tended to have hard lines, if you know what i mean. They didn't blend or ease into each other as i hoped they would. All in all, resulted in ok but ultimately disappointing pa/ipas. These aspects have definitely improved once i started to control for my water input ( use to use half purified water and half my own source, but now just start with ro and add minerals).

auralabuse

Quote from: Slev on July 03, 2017, 01:32:12 PM
Was mainly a harshness, that i was attributing to the water (bear in mind, this was only a notion of mine) but any pa or ipa would have a harsh bitterness, even when i reduced the bittering additions. And the flavour tended to have hard lines, if you know what i mean. They didn't blend or ease into each other as i hoped they would. All in all, resulted in ok but ultimately disappointing pa/ipas. These aspects have definitely improved once i started to control for my water input ( use to use half purified water and half my own source, but now just start with ro and add minerals).
Yeah, I have been doing the same with half and half. Going to do exactly what you said and go totally ro

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Acott

Mine arrived last week, haven't had the chance to connect it up yet, much check the flow rate on it!

Will_D

Make sure to read instructions about flushing the pre-filters before you connect up to the RO membrane.

Assuming it has these instructions like our 3 cartridge jobbys did.!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Slev

Quote from: Slev on July 02, 2017, 09:50:43 PM
But thats just my opinion. As other folk (irish goat, i think) have said, probably better getting all your other processes nailed down first, before fretting about your water (if your water is any way ok)

Sorry, i mis appropriated the above advise. It was indeed Will_D, who advised on the above, but much more eloquently

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/equipment-chemicals/3-stage-mains-powered-ro-worth-it/msg171332/#msg171332