• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 05:34:59 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Einbrew 3v2p

Started by greystashlawless, November 07, 2020, 11:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greystashlawless

Hello,

I'm looking into control panel options for my brewery and came across the Einbrew 3v2p on sale from the malt Miller. There seems to be very few reviews online. Does anyone here have experience with it?

Sorcerers Apprentice

At more or less 700 sterling it's expensive for what it does, plus you're limited to using 1 X 3kw heating element at a time , so you'll be waiting around a good bit for temperature changes between mash steps , plus depending on your boil volume , kettle insulation and ambient temperature, you might struggle to maintain a rolling boil. There's a write up on a brewday using one on Jim's , but it's not really fully impartial in that the reviewer didn't pay for the unit

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80639

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

greystashlawless

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that review, one from a blog and YouTube review. But as you say they all received the controller at discounted prices or free. So that makes me sceptical, as does the lack of other reviews.

I'm using a 3kw induction hob at the moment and it maintains the boil and gets water to strike temperature in a reasonable time. So the element size restriction is OK.

I could not find any similar gear around that price point. The nearest one i found was the DIY kit from Kal at the electric brewery which comes in around 2k after importing.

I'm open to considering any controller to be honest as long it works with my existing Herms setup.

Sorcerers Apprentice

I'm in the process of building a 3 vessel rims set up , using a BCS controller , which I picked up in the states a few years ago, and to be honest you don't see the money adding up over time, so £700 probably isn't that bad for what it does and the convenient size etc.
My concern would be if it uses pid control or possibly pulse width modulation , then while it would be suitable to drive electrical heating elements directly , the variable voltage output might not suit driving an inductive hob .

greystashlawless

Bcs looks like a very technical project, best of luck with that!

I'll keep the induction hob as a back up and will be adding 3kw elements to the kettles. Only problem now is finding the elements in stock!

Sorcerers Apprentice

If you get a 16amp commando outlet installed that will allow you to maximise the output of the unit , which is rated at 15 amps , rather than be restricted by a domestic 13amp socket . You could then opt for something like this , although it's rated at 3.5kw , that's at 240v , our supply voltage in Ireland is 230v , which would reduce the power of the element and accordingly drop the current to 13.9 amps , too high for a 13 amp outlet but well within the rating of a commando outlet .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0796QX7NS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_6fpRFb6X525GB

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/abb-16a-2p-e-surface-socket-250v/1858F?gclid=CjwKCAiA17P9BRB2EiwAMvwNyJkAx9d4-ZLbrQynwG4LFzHWcOlfhpnjkz7Nt_pLDPkAwflV67lFxBoCrQoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

greystashlawless

That's the plan for the electric. Having an electrician fit a 16amp RCBO to the consumer unit in the shed and wire that up to an industrial socket like the one you shared.

I think I'll have  to stick to 3kw elements though. I'm running a couple of riptide pumps too which pull just under 1amp each. That will run me close to the 15amp limit on the controller.

Interesting to see those elements on Amazon. I was only searching on the homebrew sites.