• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 05:51:31 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Keg question

Started by acaoshes, September 09, 2013, 11:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acaoshes

September 09, 2013, 11:30:33 PM Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:42:21 PM by acaoshes
Would anyone know if Bulmer's used kegs made from stainless steel or aluminium?
(Disclaimer: owner says its legit.)
Thanks.

johnrm

Stainless afaik. I have seen a showerings keg recently, and it's defo S/S

Shanna

Just am fyi owner is Bulmers as the keg is their property irrespective of who is in possession of the keg at any time

Shanna
Quote from: acaoshes on September 09, 2013, 11:30:33 PM
I'm recently seen an ad for a Bulmers 50L keg.
Would anyone know if Bulmer's used kegs made from stainless steel or aluminium?
(Disclaimer: owner says its legit.)
Thanks.
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Garry

They're both stainless. Looks like they're in good condition too, nice find  :)

Ciderhead

Chaps no pictures with obvious markings or direct referral as to who were the original owners of the kegs, please remove pics or completely obscure markings.
As Shanna pointed out there is no mechanism for selling kegs in Ireland, the keg remains the property of the brewery and as such by buying irrespective as to what the vendor has informed you, you are receipt of stolen property and liable.
You also bring the site into disrepute :(
They are both stainless btw.

Sent from my Fukushima Daiichi Geiger counter

acaoshes

My apologies.
I've removed the offending message. Just to be sure the moderator should remove the topic.
Thanks for answers.

Ciderhead

None required, I was lifted out of it last year for doing the same thing, you could get yourself and the site in deep do do.
Next time real close up what needs identification without stating whose it is and no bothers.
With margins in the Big boys getting tight and micros watching new pennies, the UK model is not far away and you won't see kegs in fields propping up horse jump poles any more.
http://www.kegwatch.co.uk/

Its still stainless  :)

acaoshes

September 12, 2013, 06:36:00 PM #7 Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:33:02 PM by acaoshes
To Ciderhead & Garry,

I fell down an Internet sinkhole and found an interesting document from the Labour Court from the late 80s where a group of workers failed to get compensation for the switchover from aluminum to stainless steel kegs.

What surprised me were submissions that stated that there was a minimal weight difference (3%) between both kegs.

So if weight cannot be the determining factor was appraising a keg, what reasons did you have for concluding that both kegs were stainless steel?

Thanks.

Garry

The metal on the stainless kegs is only about 3mm thick so they are folded at the collar and at the handles. Alu kegs have a much thicker skirt, about 6mm thick with no fold.

The colour of the stainless kegs is darker and shinier than alu. An old aluminium keg would have white spots of oxidation.

Try scratching them with a nail.
The stainless will be very hard. Now try do the same with a can of coke. The aluminiun can will be like butter in comparision.

You'll know all about it when you try to drill a hole in them :))

Eoin

At one point in the 80's the boys in Armagh were taking aluminium kegs from outside pubs all over the country. They were then being turned into windows and doors. I think the switch is due to the cost of aluminum.

Sent using a complex system of semaphore and ninjas.

acaoshes

Hi Il Tubo,
I'm interested in your comment that second hand kegs can be gotten from various sources.
As I'm very new to the homebrewing scene can you describe who these sources are?
Thanks.

Ciderhead

I'm in the market for some legitimate kegs too ::)