• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 12, 2024, 03:01:01 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Silicon Super Glue?

Started by Will_D, January 20, 2014, 11:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

Hi Guys,

Any one know if there is a particular grade/make of cyanoacrylic "super" glue for silicon tubing/o-rings etc?

I know at one trade show there was a super glue designed to stick teflon together or to other things!!

That was impressive!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

magnethead

cyanoacrylic glue might not work too well,  What about an MSpolymer Glue like Tec 7 (Maybe replace the O-ring altogether with it if you don't mind sealing permanently).. I use this on everything! Great stuff.

Do you mind describing what you are doing with it?

Did that teflon glue have some kinda priming/etching compound used on it,  Did he have to hold the pieces together for some time before they adhered to each other?

magnethead

Some googling  ;D

QuoteSilicone can be glued, but you often need a special "surface activator" chemical to prepare the silicone and the substrate to be bonded. People like Permabond and Loctite can do them.

and below, Gorilla glue is available locally

QuoteSince you are trying to attach the silicone to a different substrate, i.e., steel, the cyanoacrylate should work, also might try a polyureathane type of glue (gorilla glue), or if you have a lot, try the one in the caulk tube as well. Silicone by nature is made to have a low surface friction, and like nickelroadster said, sticks extremely well to itself. Both of the above mentioned items should work for you. You also might look into a primer (not the paint kind) but one that is made for putting adhesive on rubber. 3M should have some, and they might be available from some industrial plastics / rubber firms. US Plastics might have it as well as TAP Plastics. Hope this sheds some light on what you are looking for.

If you're trying to stick it to steel, Wikianswers has a answer with a lot of priming involved  >:D
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_glue_do_you_use_to_glue_silicone_rubber#slide=1

Will_D

My main interest is in making great big o-rings out of silicon tubing.

Imagine a half meter diameter pot and lid. How to seal the joint?

Compress a 5mm silicon tube (either hollow or solid) and "B I Y Uncle"!

How to clamp?

V clamp band as modified from a "Blue barrel" or a set of small over centre clamps

Would be a pretty good seal even if the joint wasn' glued but hell I am interested in this stuff.

My Avatar says more about me than LE  :-*
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

magnethead

haha  ;D THe Mad Chemist.... I got into a bit of moulding before and I used a lot of different products from this American company(Smooth-on), found everything to be top notch.

Sticking Silicon to itself should be an easier task, you could try the Sil-poxy on this page http://www.smooth-on.com/Epoxy,-Silicone-an/c11/index.html
THe agent for this crowd operate out of Cork and are very quick with the shipping
Glassfibre & Resin supplies LTD
Midleton
Co Cork
Tel: 021-4631711

I have a German Pressure cooker at home, Trust these guys to be using industrial O-Rings ;p  See below, THe other pressure cookers and Canners I have all use Flat silicon gaskets.

and I believe you have a TIG welder so, weld up some Channel you can pop the O-Ring into and then another Bar over the top with a Large screw in it ..imposible task maybe...Does you Pot have a good edge on it? Something to seal the O-ring against  ???

HomeBrewWest

January 24, 2014, 10:11:09 AM #5 Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:45:00 PM by HomeBrewWest
Quote from: Will_D on January 21, 2014, 10:05:21 PM
My main interest is in making great big o-rings out of silicon tubing.

Imagine a half meter diameter pot and lid. How to seal the joint?

Compress a 5mm silicon tube (either hollow or solid) and "B I Y Uncle"!

How to clamp?

V clamp band as modified from a "Blue barrel" or a set of small over centre clamps

Would be a pretty good seal even if the joint wasn' glued but hell I am interested in this stuff.

My Avatar says more about me than LE  :-*
Will, there is a much easier way. Get yourself some food grade silicon from an aquarium. Now, look at the lid on the pot above. Its got a grove on its outer edge. All you gave to do is turn the lid upside down, and level it. Then pour the silicon into it, it will self level. Wait a day, and you have a perfect seal!
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie