• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 24, 2024, 11:49:39 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Budget Kit Brew.

Started by Greg2013, October 04, 2014, 03:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

If you wanted to get something on real quick and cheap as chips what would be your go to kit/partial mash brew ? Say you had an hour to spare,you have some crushed pale malt,some hops,but you don't have enough time or funds to do a full all grain and those two can 25+euro kits are out of reach,what would you do for a quick kit brew ?

Think 20-21 euro total all in including any grain and hops you might have already not being counted in price.Fermentation of proper lagers is out but a lager with an ale yeast is ok. I  have looked at those Finlandia kits and Lord Eoins post on the one he did and they seem to be nice but out of stock a lot.

I want to get something on next week but i wont be able to do all grain for a couple of weeks at least.I did do the Munton's Old Ale recently with 3.0kg pale malt and it was quite nice for a 7.5%abv beer( hic). ;D I was also looking at the Wilkos own kits via PM as they are only £7.50stg atm but not sure it is worth it ?  ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

LordEoin

hbw have the finlandia dark ale in stock .
Twocan that to 20 liters, with your grain mash and some sugar.
boil the hops in your mini mash wort @20min and @5min and dryhop
wash and reuse your favorite yeast.

Otherwise, my go-to cheap/cheerful/fast beer would be a Coopers English Bitter, can of LME, some crystal or carapils, dryhop.

Greg2013

I have Saaz,Simcoe,and Falconers Flight would they work for that Finlandia dark ale Lord Eoin ? ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

LordEoin

simcoe@15min and falconer's flight dryhop would probably be interesting.