• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:23:55 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brew Na Bóinne November 25th 2017

Started by helmet, May 15, 2017, 02:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helmet

May 15, 2017, 02:37:56 PM Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:52:34 PM by helmet

Following on from our successful foray into the wonderful world of inter-county grudge matches, Wee County and Royal County Brewers are looking to open up our competition to the nation.

When: Nov 25th
Where: Boyne Brewhouse
What: Stout in all its glory be it sweet, dry, milk, spiced, American, Imperial or anything else in between.

And.......we're live. Registration can be completed at www.weecountybrewers.com (huge thanks to Mick in Kildare for all his help setting this up).

The prizes are shaping up nicely.

Brehon Brewhouse have weighed in and said they'll brew the winning beer, the grain for this is being sponsored by Loughran Family Malts.

We have vouchers from thehomebrewcompany.ie, malt and hops from themottlybrew.ie, a night's B&B in the D hotel in Drogheda and who knows what else will crop up between now and November!

All in all, it's well worth entering your finest stout!

Jonnycheech

I know you state that you will be accepting stouts in all their glory but will you be accepting fruit stouts?
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

helmet

July 03, 2017, 08:42:13 PM #3 Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:43:43 AM by helmet
Quote from: Johnnycheech on July 02, 2017, 08:13:54 PM
I know you state that you will be accepting stouts in all their glory but will you be accepting fruit stouts?
Can't see why not,  we'll nail down categories over the next while and get back to ya'll.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

oblivious

Andrew

Andrew
@beoirfinder

helmet

Quote from: Andrew on July 04, 2017, 04:46:04 PM
Put me down as a judge...
Cheers Andrew, we'll be doing a call to arms closer to the time. Roll on stout season!

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Blueshed

Belgian stout is not a BJCP style,  would it be possible to enter one as 34B - mixed styles.

imark

Is it a bjcp competition? Will 33cl bottles be accepted?

benji

Like the sound of this, hopefully it won't be a  bjcp comp though
Tapped: Brown Porter, Dortmunder, Rye IPA
Bottled: Barrel RIS, Barrel Red Flanders, Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Barrel triple, NEIPA
Planned: Pilsner, Hazy Pale Ale, something Belgian

Pheeel

Quote from: benji on August 01, 2017, 04:19:51 PM
Like the sound of this, hopefully it won't be a  bjcp comp though

Why? There's a category for all beers even if it doesn't fit in neatly to one of the 'regular' categories
Issues with your membership? PM me!

benji

Well I guess you can be marked down for entering in the wrong category for a start and I believe it stifles creativity 
Tapped: Brown Porter, Dortmunder, Rye IPA
Bottled: Barrel RIS, Barrel Red Flanders, Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Barrel triple, NEIPA
Planned: Pilsner, Hazy Pale Ale, something Belgian

molc

There's a few categories you can put your beer into if you believe it's original/not to style, so that shouldn't get in the way of creativity. Within each style there's quite a bit of wiggle room in the guidelines as well; usually the best beer rises to the top.

I'll agree a beer can be marked down for being in the wrong category, though the judges should usually point out if it's a flaw or just a style problem. It's very rare you get a great, medal possible beer in the wrong category.

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Pheeel

Even if it wasn't a BJCP comp you'd still be expected to describe the style and if it didn't map to that style according to the judge you'd still get knocked down
Issues with your membership? PM me!

mr hoppy

FWIW I don't believe CAMRA judge beer based on closeness to a style definition. So it's not the only way of doing it.