• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 06:18:00 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

O'Hara's Stout - Discussion

Started by irish_goat, June 24, 2017, 02:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrewDorg

Appearance:

Black, pours a 2 finger slight off white head that lasted about a minute. Still retains a nice thin layer of head even after 5+ minutes.

Aroma:

Touch of coffee but mainly sweet milk chocolate aroma. Getting no hop aroma myself

Slev

Agreed with the graininess.
And highly roasted....

irish_goat

Getting some coffee aroma alright and a little caramel as it warms up. Probably should have had it out of the fridge for a while.

BrewDorg

Exact same as me. Thought coffee straight out of the fridge but smells sweeter and sweeter as it warms up.

irish_goat

Moving onto flavour:

A lot of coffee and then chocolate before a nice dry finish.

Slev

I can see (wrong sense) were you are coming from with the caramel

irish_goat

Quote from: Slev on June 28, 2017, 09:30:17 PM
I can see (wrong sense) were you are coming from with the caramel

It's mentioned in the guidelines under "flavour". Not sure if it's acceptable or not for aroma though?

Slev

Initial taste - very much along the roasted coffee. Matches the initial aroma

BigDanny84

Taste - coffee and milk chocolate.

helmet

I'd like a wee bit less carbonation. Good body, nice coffee kick and dry, slightly bitter finish.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

BrewDorg

Taste is dry, roasted espresso flavour. I'm getting a pretty assertive bitterness for a stout at the end too

Slev

Not getting past the roast on the first  two sips.  But eases afterwards. (as my palate gets accustomed? Not a coffee drinker)

BigDanny84

Carbonation is a bit prickly on the tongue. I'd prefer it a bit smoother.

BrewDorg

I find it hard to disassociate roasted and coffee flavours from each other. If I think roasty, I think of coffee and vice versa

irish_goat

Carbonation is grand for my taste. Body is medium to light, quite sessionable.

Quote from: Slev on June 28, 2017, 09:37:23 PM
Not getting past the roast on the first  two sips.  But eases afterwards. (as my palate gets accustomed? Not a coffee drinker)

Raises a question, would a non-coffee drinking judge score stouts completely differently?