• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:31:17 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

NHC v AHA

Started by mick02, May 30, 2018, 07:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mick02

I was chatting to Dave Carpenter after Brewcon and I was championing the Irish homebrew scene. I told him that it was probably miles ahead of the States.

Anyway there was a bit of back and forth and I posed a challenge to him.

What if we got the best homebrewers in Ireland to make Irish style beers (Irish Red, Irish Stout for example) and US style beers (AIPA, APA etc) and we got the best American homebrewers to do the same and we squared off against each other in a Ryder Cup type format.

Dave was genuinely excited about this challenge and put me in touch with Matt Bolling (AHA events & membership coordinator) and John Moorhead (competition organizer) to work out the details.

John Moorehead got back in touch with me and this is what he had to say ...

Hi Mick!

I like the idea of international collaboration, competition, and celebration of homebrewing.

As far as feasibility on shipping, international entrants ship their beer to NHC sites every year, some just know how to do it better than others.

To continue the brainstorming: who would be eligible to enter the competition (perhaps NHC Final Round winners? A lottery?)? Would be alternate countries each year? To keep it manageable, an entry cap of X would need to be put in place. Also, what do the winner's get out of it?

I didn't have exact answers to John's questions but I did suggest a Ryder cup format which is almost like a match format where beers square off against each other.

There is lots of details to figure out but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas based on John's questions above.

Personally I'd love to put my APA or AIPA up against the AHA and teach him a thing or two (or get a dressing down!)

I'd love to get some feedback on this idea.
NHC Committee member

Pheeel

We'd have to have it in Iceland to be fair to all 🤣
Issues with your membership? PM me!

mick02

Quote from: Pheeel on May 30, 2018, 08:31:59 PM
I was thinking that myself.
NHC Committee member

brian_c

Ha ha, and maybe get WOW air to sponsor it.

Roo

Brilliant. I love spanking a Yank
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

brian_c

RE: shipping, I wonder if any Irish craft breweries that ship to the US, or importers that ship from the US could help?

irish_goat

We have plenty of NHC members who fly to the US for work. Wouldn't be too much effort to pay for an extra checked bag.

Simon_

Quote from: Pheeel on May 30, 2018, 08:31:59 PM
They're Bobby Fischer and we're the Soviets

molc

I think it's an excellent idea.

We don't really have a final round with the nationals right now, so it could be an interesting idea to have all the medal winners go through to a brewoff for this with the best entries going head to head internationally with this Ryder cup format.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

mick02

Quote from: irish_goat on May 31, 2018, 10:09:06 AM
We have plenty of NHC members who fly to the US for work. Wouldn't be too much effort to pay for an extra checked bag.
If a member was willing to drag a bag full of beer around the airport. Also I need to check the legal terms of bringing alcohol into the States. We don't want to end up on the US watchlist.

I'll do some digging on this and see if I can get a private shipping company or courier to clarify rates/terms etc.
NHC Committee member

mick02

Quote from: molc on May 31, 2018, 10:19:47 AM
I think it's an excellent idea.

We don't really have a final round with the nationals right now, so it could be an interesting idea to have all the medal winners go through to a brewoff for this with the best entries going head to head internationally with this Ryder cup format.
Yeah I hadn't thought about how exactly the brewers would be picked. Perhaps past champion brewers could be asked or BOS brewers. Maybe a lottery or we pick from brewers that finish with beer above a certain threshold? The finer details need to be hammered out but I guess coming up with a proposal to bring to our American friends is the first step.
NHC Committee member

imark

You're a glutton for punishment 🤣

mick02

NHC Committee member

danger_zone

What about each club nominating one of their members. That way all clubs are represented?
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

Roo

Quote from: danger_zone on May 31, 2018, 03:57:58 PM
What about each club nominating one of their members. That way all clubs are represented?

Couldn't have put it better myself!
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.