• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:11:10 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

NHC v AHA

Started by mick02, May 30, 2018, 07:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mick02

Quote from: danger_zone on May 31, 2018, 03:57:58 PM
What about each club nominating one of their members. That way all clubs are represented?
Great idea. It's about getting the best brewers nationally so I'd be more in favour of having some kind of internal competition or process so only the best brewers are involved. If it turns out that they're all from cork, Galway or Dublin then so be it. But to be clear, this opportunity is open to all brewers but only the best will represent the club... That's my take on it anyway but again I'm looking for ideas and I'm open to any suggestion
NHC Committee member

Will_D

Surely the Ryder cup is Europe v. the USA.

This would be Ireland v. the USA*

*Footnote:
Most brewer's roots in USA are from Europe!!

Think this is a great idea!

Maybe we could ask Barack Obama [of the Whitehouse Brewery's Inc fame] for the trophy?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Pheeel

Two beers max per member. Each club does a mini comp. We do a mini nationals based on those beers

Or we just used the best beers from the nationals

It depends what time of year it'll be held. The hoppy beers are likely to suffer most with the travel
Issues with your membership? PM me!

brian_c

Quote from: Pheeel on June 01, 2018, 12:30:00 PMThe hoppy beers are likely to suffer most with the travel

We should maybe adjust the recipe, increase the OG and add more hops to help it survive the journey. I hear that style is popular in India.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

molc

Quote from: Pheeel on June 01, 2018, 12:30:00 PM
Two beers max per member. Each club does a mini comp. We do a mini nationals based on those beers

It depends what time of year it'll be held. The hoppy beers are likely to suffer most with the travel
I'd go with using the nationals, as it's already in place and filters the best beers from the country to the fore. All those winners can be invited to brew a beer to be put forward and those are then judged, with the winners shipped to the states.

It also helps with the question of how to grow the nationals and generate more buzz.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Will_D

That's a great idea Colm
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

mick02

Quote from: molc on June 01, 2018, 02:46:50 PM

I'd go with using the nationals, as it's already in place and filters the best beers from the country to the fore. All those winners can be invited to brew a beer to be put forward and those are then judged, with the winners shipped to the states.

It also helps with the question of how to grow the nationals and generate more buzz.

Yeah this is probably the best way as all clubs should be represented at the nationals. It also means that we will have a lot bigger pot of beers/brewers to choose from.

What do you guys think of the format? i.e. Irish style beers brewed by both and American style beers brewed by both and we face off that way?
NHC Committee member

johnrm

Where is judging going to take place? US or IE?

How about the 'muricans ship to here also.
Anonymise on both sides of the Atlantic.
We judge late in the day, they judge early - scores produced at the same time more or less.
Combine the scores.

If the bottle spec is a giveaway the beer may have to be pitchered first.

irish_goat

Quote from: molc on June 01, 2018, 02:46:50 PM

I would suggest a standalone comp would be better.  Judge the beers ourselves and post them off to the US the same week so they're all in top condition and we 100% know the beer is good.

DEMPSEY

Club can fund this cost I'm sure ;)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Pheeel

Stouts I think we can trounce them on. Reds I'm not so sure. They're not a favourite style for homebrewers to make here. Now if we were to allow Imperial Reds I think we have a fight on our hands!

johnrm

On the red front it depends if you are true to style (read that as bland)
There are some tasty reds - At the risk of being shot down Porterhouse, OSullivans and OHaras spring to mind as good examples.

mick02

Folks, I want to get back to our American friends about this competition. What about we merge the ideas from the previous posts. We use the nationals as a "qualifier" for this international competition. This way all members can get a chance to enter. The winners of the categories that we are entering against the Americans get to brew their winning entries for the competition and we can send these off when they are at their freshest. We might consider a wildcard or two to keep our options open.

Any issues with this plan?
NHC Committee member

Pheeel

Sure, let's give it a lash

pob