• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:54:15 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

When is it time to bottle?

Started by Davmcgoo, April 09, 2020, 09:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davmcgoo

Hey everyone. I have a craft range IPA on the go and I'm getting close to bottling. Its been in the fermentor for 10 days, hops have been in for 3 of those. OG was 1.045 and it's currently at 1.008 and still going down slowly. I've read on here that once the gravity readings have settled, it is always good to leave the beer for another few days to let it settle/clear. Just wondering the reasoning behind this. And how long should I leave it? 2 or 3 days or maybe a week or longer? Any possible issues that can occur from leaving it too long before bottling?

Already learned a lot on this site and appreciate all replies
Thanks

DEMPSEY

if the final gravity stays the same for 2 days then it's ready to go to bottle. when you fill your bottles,fill one clear plastic one as well. you can use the plastic one to judge how the glass ones are priming. easy to squeeze but as it primes it will go hard. also able to check its clarity.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Davmcgoo

Thanks Dempsey, bottling in PET bottles so all sorted but I remember reading a post from you about filling a clear plastic bottle. Very good idea, I'll be doing that. Do you recommend leaving the beer in the fermenter after the fg is the same for 2 days (read that it helps) or bottling straight away?

DEMPSEY

I would go from the fermenter to the bottling bucket that has the diluted sugar in it and then to the bottles
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us