• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 17, 2024, 08:56:27 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Get some Conan Yeast

Started by biertourist, August 14, 2013, 09:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biertourist

You guys need to get a hold of the "Conan" strain that Heady Topper uses.  It's supposed to be a magic strain that really maximizes fruity flavors in IPAs.  My theory is that it is much more active at converting hop oils into other oils than most other yeast strains.  There are some crazy flavors that people are getting from IPAs made with his hop.

(Including Strawberry if you combine Conan with the SUPER rare "Belma" hop from out here in Yakima.)

-I WAANT this yeast but you can only get it from a can of Heady Topper which is one of the most sought after beers in the US right now and I can't find anyone willing to trade me for it....
:'(

Adam

Hop Bomb

48 USD for 4 cans. You'd want the yeast culture for that price!
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Will_D

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Metattron

In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Hop Bomb

Metattron

Was a tricky one to find.  Doesn't say if they ship internationally but there are ways round that.  Possibly a group buy?
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Alex Lawes

Quote from: Il Tubo on August 15, 2013, 11:30:00 PM
Dean. Has anyone phoned Dean?

He'd be a candidate for canonization if he could pull this off. They can't supply their own market, let alone start exporting. Not for a couple of years anyway. I had it in New York last month. I'd pay top dollar for it anywhere. Count me in for any yeast group buys on this. Clone time.

christhebrewer

Can't resist! I'm in if there's a group going on. For the yeast or the beer.

Alex Lawes

My pal in Torst had saved me some as he knew I was coming over. Top lad. Says it's like gold dust. They once went up to Vermont to get it as you can only really find it easily there. Distribution outside there is sporadic at best.
Any family around that area?

Will_D

Lets network!!

If it can be bought in Queens, we send a few cans over to Seattle.

Then the OP ( Adam ) gets to enjoy the beer and then Cultures up the yeast.

Then he sends one decent sized vial to the NHC. This can then be spilt and cultured up by us.

Much safer than trying to post a few cans!

Simples.

Alex Lawes

Okay.
I'll look into it. We'd need to put it to plates. I hear it mutates really quickly and by generation 4 it's a shadow of itself or something.

Hop Bomb

Just had a reply from Gigayeast. I mailed them on the 16th:

"Hi Tom,
We'd love to send some yeast to Ireland but we'd need to figure a few things out. In terms of cost--  our homebrew pitches retail for between $8 and $10 US.  We don't retail them directly from the lab.  We sell them wholesale to homebrew stores.  That being said, as you're the first irish brewer to contact us I'd be willing to give you the yeast but that still leaves the shipping.  We haven't shipped outside the US yet--  although we are getting more and more requests from Europe and Australia.  I can take a look at some shipping options and get a you a quote in the next few days. The other options would be to contact one of our retailers and see if they will ship or have us send it to a friend/relative here in the US that would forward the yeast to you."

I wrote them back asking about wholesale price & how many vials in a standard wholesale pack they sell to homebrew shops.

Will_D

Taf

I'll be in Boston in about 3 weeks time, so maybe we could get some sent to the hotel, as I have often done this with mills in the past. It all depends on how bulky the pack is, and how it needs to be stored while I am over there. There is no fridge in the first hotel I am in, although it won't be too warm as the air con will be on most of the time. There is a fridge in the second hotel, but will be full of expensive booze that gets charged as soon as you remove it, so won't be able to use that either.

I'd say maybe check what their shipping to Ireland is, and stress that we are a fairly big organisation, and see what the shipping is. Alternatively, just get a couple of vials sent to my hotel, and I will post them straight back to Ireland.

Taf

Quote from: チューブ on August 20, 2013, 11:52:38 AM
Or the vials could be sent to my sis in law in NY who will post them home.

Yeah, that's probably handier.