• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:53:12 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Growler Fills in Cork

Started by BrewCity, August 16, 2013, 06:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrewCity

I was just in the No.21 Off Licence near Bridge Street in Cork. The guy in there was saying he is thinking of buying in growlers and getting kegs of craft beer and letting people come in and fill up their growlers. I think it's a great idea, hope he does it.

I was also able to find these elusive Julian Cooper Beers. Label says he is brewing on Camden Quay in Cork. Has anyone figured out who this is?

Greg2013

Quote from: BrewCity on August 16, 2013, 06:17:25 PM
I was just in the No.21 Off Licence near Bridge Street in Cork. The guy in there was saying he is thinking of buying in growlers and getting kegs of craft beer and letting people come in and fill up their growlers. I think it's a great idea, hope he does it.

I was also able to find these elusive Julian Cooper Beers. Label says he is brewing on Camden Quay in Cork. Has anyone figured out who this is?

https://twitter.com/JulianCoopers
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Taf

Have heard conflicting stories in relation to whether he has all the required paperwork to sell his beer, but presume he must be, if an offy and pub are selling it.

Greg2013

Quote from: Taf on August 16, 2013, 07:06:01 PM
Have heard conflicting stories in relation to whether he has all the required paperwork to sell his beer, but presume he must be, if an offy and pub are selling it.

you can never tell with them dodgy Cork boyos  :P
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

BrewCity

Quote from: Taf on August 16, 2013, 07:06:01 PM
I've heard conflicting reports, too. All I can see is he does not appear on Revenue's list of current valid liquor licences  ??? (unless he is operating under another name).... but if a brewer approached an off licence looking to sell beer, I doubt the offy manager would ask to see his manufacturing licence. Probably just assumed it's all sorted.

Greg2013

Would he not have to have a registered VAT number?

BrewCity

Quote from: deadman1972 on August 16, 2013, 07:38:14 PM
Would he not have to have a registered VAT number?
No, I don't think so. Suppliers of goods don't have to register for VAT unless their projected turnover is over 75k per year.  But for beer manufacturing Excise is the issue, and brewers have to pay 500 euro for the manufacture's licence, and work out the excise bond with Revenue.

Greg2013

usually when information is not readily available in this kind of situation i ask myself "who is hiding what" and "why" ? Might be perfectly innocent but in fairness if the offies don't know what they are selling that's a red flag to me sorry :(

BrewCity

Quote from: deadman1972 on August 16, 2013, 08:13:44 PM
usually when information is not readily available in this kind of situation i ask myself "who is hiding what" and "why" ? Might be perfectly innocent but in fairness if the offies don't know what they are selling that's a red flag to me sorry :(
Well the label does say it was made in a "home brewery" ... and having cracked open the bottle of Summer Blonde it does, in my opinion, taste like homebrew. Lots of DMS...

Edit: just gleaned this off of a Beoir thread on Julian Coopers... "It is an illegal homebrew, sold without paying taxes and excises. I'm a prolific homebrewer in camden quay as well and people are assuming I'm the brewer. That pissed me off. Because the last thing I want to see it the custom and excise people showing up at my place asking me to prove I'm not the one brewing this. Akavango"  ??? hmmm...

Greg2013

Quote from: BrewCity on August 16, 2013, 09:04:01 PM
Quote from: deadman1972 on August 16, 2013, 08:13:44 PM
Well the label does say it was made in a "home brewery" ... and having cracked open the bottle of Summer Blonde it does, in my opinion, taste like homebrew. Lots of DMS...

Edit: just gleaned this off of a Beoir thread on Julian Coopers... "It is an illegal homebrew, sold without paying taxes and excises. I'm a prolific homebrewer in camden quay as well and people are assuming I'm the brewer. That pissed me off. Because the last thing I want to see it the custom and excise people showing up at my place asking me to prove I'm not the one brewing this. Akavango"  ??? hmmm...

LOL ya i also saw that on Beoir but i am not sure as to its voracity?  ;D

jus223

I just cracked open a bottle of his party ale. It tastes pretty awful. Ive thrown better beer down the sink

BrewCity

Yeah, who knows exactly what is going on there.... we are down here in the Rebel county afterall...  but I can say both beers ended up down the drain. Really bad off flavours and bad aroma (DMS in one, Metallic in another). I can honestly say that I brew better beer, and so does Jus223, and so does Taf.

And that offy is selling it there for 3 euro a bottle, and presumably that's mostly profit as there are (allegedly) no taxes being paid (?) hmmm
Gives craft beer a bad name, IMHO

johnrm

If its that bad, go back to the Offy with the empty and ask for your money back.
Tell them they're not selling goods fit for a purpose.
If need be, get them to crack open a bottle and taste it.

Greg2013

Quote from: johnrm on August 16, 2013, 11:23:47 PM
If its that bad, go back to the Offy with the empty and ask for your money back.
Tell them they're not selling goods fit for a purpose.
If need be, get them to crack open a bottle and taste it.

+1 that, just to see what way they react would be worth it, tell them you would like to know what brewery brewed them and see what they say.

LordEoin

Really? but i spent all night juicing cats and milking driptrays in my camden quay laboratory making the stuff! and that's how you rate it? It took me over 2 days of fermenting at body temperature. Do you know how difficult it is to keep an bucket of catjuice and slops pressed against your crotch for over 2 days? DO YOU??

but seriously though, you've made me want to go out and buy one out of curiosity  ;D