• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:53:12 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Growler Fills in Cork

Started by BrewCity, August 16, 2013, 06:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taf

Quote from: Garry on August 20, 2013, 09:53:47 AM
How do they stop the bottle/growler filling with foam when they are filling it from the tap?

Sometimes they would put tubing onto the tap, so that the beer is going directly to the bottom of the bottle, but it still foamed when I tried this before. I think proper growler setups would flush the bottle with C02 and have some sort of beer gun in use.

Hop Bomb

These are the growlers that you can inject c02 in the cap of once filled.  http://thezythosproject.com/brauler/
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

derfel

I've been asking around about growler fills.
Franciscan Well don't, but they're looking into it.
Porterhouse fill them.
Bierhaus fill them.
Mad Monk in Midleton are looking into it too.

I haven't had a chance to get into the Porterhouse or Bierhaus to see how they fill them, or to see what the prices are.
From my reading you can attach a filler to the standard tap in the pub to fill from the bottom.
This will reduce the foam problem.

I've seen some very fancy options in the US and UK where they have a machine to fill growlers.
You land in with your cleaned growler and the machine purges it with CO2 and fills it.

BrewCity

When I got a growler in the states they put a screw cap on it and heat sealed that with a little plastic ring (probably more for legal reasons - driving with open containers and all that) but she said I'd have to drink it in the next 1-2 days.