• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:56:09 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Brewers - November Meet - Thursday 21st November

Started by Bubbles, October 25, 2013, 06:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Will have to see if I can find an original bottle from the fill in June. As far as I can remember there were only two filledcas the barrel proved bigger than expected.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Ciderhead

No I meant some of the one you just brewed?

Sent from 1 of 300,000,000

Shanna

Quote from: CH on November 20, 2013, 08:49:59 PM

Ah Ok but I managed to locate one of the original batch bottled back in June. Was thinking it would make more sense to compare a pair of samples of the same vintage. No matter I can bring the newer sample.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Bubbles

Quote from: John_C on November 20, 2013, 06:11:08 PM
I won't have any brew tomorrow. I had a couple of beers last night and I accidentally finished the keg.

And?

Mooching is positively encouraged at these things...! :)

Bubbles

Quote from: CH on November 20, 2013, 06:30:52 PMGCB RIS control.

Oh, I get it... coming up to Dublin for the night, and asking us to diagnose the off-flavours in the GCB brew. I see what you're up to.......

;) :D

Ciderhead

Cheeky barsteward, I see it more like me being on the Missions educating the mud hut locals, in Jim Bowen style, "and this is what ya could have won"

Ciderhead

Quote from: Shanna on November 20, 2013, 10:54:53 PM

Ah Ok but I managed to locate one of the original batch bottled back in June. Was thinking it would make more sense to compare a pair of samples of the same vintage. No matter I can bring the newer sample.

Shanna

Oh jesus if you found an original bring that instead!

Shanna

Quote from: CH on November 20, 2013, 11:09:26 PM
Quote from: Shanna on November 20, 2013, 10:54:53 PM

Shanna

Oh jesus if you found an original bring that instead!

Will do.  Maybe you can squeeze in some time to learn me my letters sir? :)

Was thinking maybe we could do a blind tasting of all 3 brews and see if people can tell tbe difference and also see which do they prefer. It should give Conor something else to write about other than my champagne gusher style American Pale Ale :)

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Bubbles

Thanks to everyone who came along to the DH last night, it was a triumph.

Best beer of the evening for me was Ciderhead's Galway Hooker clone. Too often you're handed a beer or a recipe that purports to be a clone of a commercial beer but is nothing of the sort. This was the real deal - a fantastic grainy flavour and the hop character is just spot-on. I'm not usually one for clone recipes, but I'll definitely be doing this.

We got a great side-by-side comparison of the Wicklow and SD barrels too. Both delicious -  I'd say the SD porter is only a month or two away from bottling.

The head's suffering a bit this morning though, I have to say...  :-X

Ciderhead

Great bunch of lads in SCD with some good kits and for me the best of the night was red from Brewtus and imperial pale from Bubbles which had a great balance of hops and malt and was far too quaffable, scarily I couldn't tell it was 8%, until this morning!

Gar

Ditto ... Its great to know that beers at the level of Brewtus Red, CH IPAs and Bubbles IPA can be brewed at home ... something to aim for

Bubbles

Lads, which of ye was I discussing "peat-smoked malt" at this meet in November? It was either JohnC or Bruce, I can't remember?

Anyway, I've got loads of this stuff, so I'll do up a small bag for you and bring it along to January's meet if you're around.

John_C

That was me and I'm still looking for it if you can bring it along.

Cheers

Bubbles

Hey John, that's cool. I'll bring along a bag for you too. I'm doing one for Declan also. I'll do a 150g bag for you, as I'm led to believe it's pretty potent stuff.