• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:12:22 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

#*###* Magpies

Started by Eoink, December 09, 2013, 05:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

Quote from: Billythegypsy on December 10, 2013, 03:49:48 PM
Quote from: Eoin on December 10, 2013, 02:01:49 PM
You could talk to Ditch over on Jims beer kit and ask him, he's a rat catcher and all around pest guy who lives up in Leitrim, English traveller and a nice guy.

Ditch is real?

I always just assumed he was some sort of Tyler Durden of homebrewing.

Have you met him?

Ditch is real, he lives up around Mohill somewhere.
Ditch also rings a lot of birds, he's a real animal lover. He'd know what to do humanely.

Ciderhead

I'm not playing your a townie card either but I will tell you magpies are very aggressive, cats or dogs don't kill magpies they are too clever and too fast. Very few cats in my part of the world.
The trap I had, had food and water, but you are right they do get animated when caught, but it's a fraction of the duress suffered from a poorly executed bullet or poison :(

LordEoin

Quote from: iTube on December 10, 2013, 05:53:44 PM
Quote from: LordEoin on December 10, 2013, 03:42:30 PM
trapping or shooting them is fine. poisoning is not.
What about blowing them up?
Probably the most humane thing I've heard  ;)

Ciderhead

Jesus nobody has suggested gassing yet! , Alex has some argon.

Ciderhead

That's how they kill the chicken or turkey on your table

LordEoin

How about a custom built solid trap, hooked up to gas and jump leads, so that once the magpie gets trapped inside it starts to fill with butane, then the battery connection provides a spark that explodes the magpie, then it automatically opens again, revealing the magpie mush which will tempt the next magpie into the trap.
Eventually, there'll be enough exploded flesh and feather to coax a few foxes into the trap too. bonus!

Eoin

Quote from: LordEoin on December 10, 2013, 10:34:38 PM
How about a custom built solid trap, hooked up to gas and jump leads, so that once the magpie gets trapped inside it starts to fill with butane, then the battery connection provides a spark that explodes the magpie, then it automatically opens again, revealing the magpie mush which will tempt the next magpie into the trap.
Eventually, there'll be enough exploded flesh and feather to coax a few foxes into the trap too. bonus!

Genius idea.

Sent from my HTC One

Ciderhead

Quote from: LordEoin on December 10, 2013, 10:34:38 PM

Oh no I don't want to kill any foxes they are cute and gods creatures.
I have to confess to catching next doors cat, tempted an all as I was because of its continual shit on my flowerbeds I didn't wring its neck.

imark

Its the 21st century. All cats should be radio fenced. No excuse for them to roam and shit in this day and age.

Damo

Christ, someone needs to stand up for the poor little Magpie

Why all the bad press?

I like the little fella's, I have a pair of them that nest in the trees beside me every year. I get great craic watchin them go through their mating rituals(riot), especially when a few of them arrive to try get in on the action.

whats not to like about them?
clever, brave, aggressive, arrogant and not to mention beautiful colouring.

CH, who gave you a gun licence? :o now im worried.
eoin, I think you've too much time on your hands.

Whats next? shooting the Kites

delzep

LordEoin

magpies steal petfood and spread disease.
They're winged rats with razer bills and talons.
They attack young and sick livestock.
They're noisy and general dicks.

I hear they even rip open carelessly places grain bags.

Ciderhead

Quote from: Damo on December 10, 2013, 11:30:57 PM
Christ, someone needs to stand up for the poor little Magpie

Why all the bad press?

I like the little fella's, I have a pair of them that nest in the trees beside me every year. I get great craic watchin them go through their mating rituals(riot), especially when a few of them arrive to try get in on the action.

whats not to like about them?
clever, brave, aggressive, arrogant and not to mention beautiful colouring.

CH, who gave you a gun licence? :o now im worried.
eoin, I think you've too much time on your hands.

Whats next? shooting the Kites

Let he who has not sinned cast the first slug pellet.

LordEoin

the slugs drown in beer. It's a dignified way to go.

DEMPSEY

What about using knock off Iraqi AA guns. I am sure they have plenty still left from the war ::)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us