• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2024, 10:54:26 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

What BJCP category does my beer belong in? THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Started by Hop Bomb, December 16, 2013, 01:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColMack

I've brewed an English pale ale (Cat 8.) and was aiming for 8B Special/Best/Premium Bitter, but my efficiency was better than usual so the OG hit 1.050. 
It's still fermenting, but may end up at 4.8-5%.  IBU's around 38, but not exact as I used home grown hops.
It is quite light in colour so might not fit into the 8C category.  It's more pale golden than golden. 
So the question is 8B or 8C?
All advice welcome.

irish_goat

Quote from: ColMack on January 21, 2014, 09:57:08 AM
I've brewed an English pale ale (Cat 8.) and was aiming for 8B Special/Best/Premium Bitter, but my efficiency was better than usual so the OG hit 1.050. 
It's still fermenting, but may end up at 4.8-5%.  IBU's around 38, but not exact as I used home grown hops.
It is quite light in colour so might not fit into the 8C category.  It's more pale golden than golden. 
So the question is 8B or 8C?
All advice welcome.

You could always dilute to lower the ABV if you wanted, I still think it would fit in 8B regardless.

Komodo021

Hi guys, i've brewed a chocolate and roast fig stout with a Belgian Dubbel yeast strain... 16E... Belgian Speciality Ale?

Komodo021

delzep

Quote from: Komodo021 on January 24, 2014, 10:49:54 PM
Also... have an oatmeal and vanilla stout.. 21A or 23A?

Do you ever go mad and brew something like a mild or a dry stout?  :P

(21A by the way I reckon  ;))

mr hoppy

Quote from: Komodo021 on January 24, 2014, 11:23:04 PM
Too much of that stuff in the world! :D

Not that much mild around in this part of the world.

Make March a mild month! ;D :D

Rossa

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

A spiced pumpkin ale based on an English pale or Irish red.

20A or 23A? Pumpkin is technically a fruit.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

brenmurph

21A spiced, herb or vegetable

or maybe 21b
21B Christmas / winter.
"A stronger, darker, spiced beer that often has a rich body and warming finish suggesting a good accompaniment for the cold winter season. Throughout history, beer of a somewhat higher alcohol content and richness has been enjoyed during the winter holidays, when old friends get together to enjoy the season. Many breweries produce unique seasonal offerings that may be darker, stronger, spiced, or otherwise more characterful than their normal beers. Spiced versions are an American or Belgian tradition, since English or German breweries traditionally do not use spices in their beer. Overall balance is the key to presenting a wellmade Christmas beer. The special ingredients should complement the base beer and not overwhelm it. The brewer should recognize that some combinations of base beer styles and special ingredients work well together while others do not make for harmonious combinations. THE ENTRANT MAY DECLARE AN UNDERLYING BEER STYLE AS WELL AS THE SPECIAL INGREDIENTS USED. THE BASE STYLE, SPICES OR OTHER INGREDIENTS NEED NOT BE IDENTIFIED. THE BEER MUST INCLUDE SPICES AND MAY INCLUDE OTHER FERMENTABLES (SUGARS, HONEY, MAPLE SYRUP, MOLASSES, TREACLE, ETC.) OR FRUIT. If the base beer is a classic style, the original style should come through in aroma and flavor. Whenever spices, herbs or additional fermentables are declared, each should be noticeable and distinctive in its own way (although not necessarily individually identifiable; balanced with the other ingredients is still critical). English-style Winter Warmers (some of which may be labeled Christmas Ales) are generally not spiced, and should be entered as Old Ales. Belgian-style Christmas ales should be entered as Belgian Specialty Ales (16E).

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Reuben Gray

brenmurph

wats the ABV Reuben to give responders a better chance of valid opinions... session or strong?  Determines which one of the four categories.

Big decision.. u cant lose points for wrong category :)

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

7.1% but looking at 21B, it's the perfect category, almost a one size fits all.

QuoteOG, FG, IBUs, SRM and ABV will vary depending on the underlying base beer. ABV is generally above 6%, and most examples are somewhat dark in color.

QuoteTHE ENTRANT MAY DECLARE AN UNDERLYING BEER STYLE AS WELL AS THE SPECIAL INGREDIENTS USED. THE BASE STYLE, SPICES OR OTHER INGREDIENTS NEED NOT BE IDENTIFIED. THE BEER MUST INCLUDE SPICES AND MAY INCLUDE OTHER FERMENTABLES (SUGARS, HONEY, MAPLE SYRUP, MOLASSES, TREACLE, ETC.) OR FRUIT.
Reuben Gray

pk

Hi All,
I have 3 entries for this but I have some questions you might be able to help me with.

On Categories, I have an extract stout kit and an all grain Appollo IPA from the thehomebrewcompany. I am not sure of the categories for these?

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/hbc-extract-extra-irish-stout-23-litres-p-1729.html
Is this a "Dry Stout"?

and this one:
https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/hbc-apollo-ipa-mashkit-23lt-p-2045.html
Is this an "American IPA"?

Thanks all
Paul