• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 03, 2024, 12:54:31 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

124 Abbey Clone

Started by admin, March 09, 2013, 07:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

March 09, 2013, 07:55:55 PM Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:22:18 PM by admin

Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 18.93 L      
Boil Size: 22.80 L
Estimated OG: 1.082 SG - Actual 1.090
Estimated Color: 37.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
4.00 kg       Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC)            Grain        63.39 %      
0.80 kg       Munich Malt (17.7 EBC)                    Grain        12.68 %      
0.30 kg       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC)    Grain        4.75 %       
0.11 kg       Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC)                Grain        1.74 %       
0.10 kg       Wheat Malt, Bel (3.9 EBC)                 Grain        1.58 %       
15.00 gm      Magnum [14.00 %]  (60 min)                Hops         21.5 IBU      
8.00 gm       Williamette [5.50 %]  (10 min)            Hops         1.6 IBU      
8.00 gm       Saaz [4.00 %]  (5 min)                    Hops         0.7 IBU      
1.00 kg       Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC)          Sugar        15.85 %      
1 Pkgs        Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550)          Yeast-Ale      

Based on a recipe and a vial of WLP550 that Alex Lawes kindly gave me.

Did this last night, my first Belgian. I was surprised that the OG was so high and from what I read if I keep the temperature up (25+) I can expect this to still finish fairly low, like 1.012 maybe. Currently fermenting at 20 degrees, will raise temp as I go.

This could end up 10%+ ABV, which is a little strong for that HB competition in Galway, as I can't imagine too many people wanting pints of it!

Will_D

One of the secrets to giving beer to strangers ( like my misses ) is "DO NOT MENTION ABV".

I know from experience that if I give her a strong beer and lie about the abv - no problemo. She will drink a few glasses.

If I tell her its 8.5% stuff I tend to get on the second glass "Oh I feel Pi***d
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Will_D

QuoteTried that Will. She ended up arse-faced, puking, and had to spend half of Sunday in bed.

Errm??, One or two glasses ( less than a pint ) should not have this effect on "the least able to handle booze, girly in Ireland"

How many pints did you lash into herself?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

imark

March 09, 2013, 09:34:12 PM #3 Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:34:58 PM by imark
Nice recipe. Your temperature controller will be getting put through it's paces on this one. What size starter did you use? Have you a fermentation schedule in mind?

QuoteTried that Will. She ended up arse-faced, puking, and had to spend half of Sunday in bed.
Priceless and I can relate to that  ;D

Cathal O D

I used this yeast before and kept it around  20C. Started off at 1.070 and finished at 1.010.  I probably should have raised the temp to 25C towards the end but didnt have a controller. I have one now so will have to try this again. I will be interested to hear how yours turns out as well.

imark

I didn't use a starter, this being an ale. Just chucked in the contents of the vial from Alex.

Interesting. I am taking a different approach for mine. I'm building up a big starter with my vial and going high temp on the ferment.

Ciderhead

QuoteNice recipe. Your temperature controller will be getting put through it's paces on this one. What size starter did you use? Have you a fermentation schedule in mind?
I didn't use a starter, this being an ale. Just chucked in the contents of the vial from Alex.

Hey Competiton winning brewer how big was the vial?, that could be risky surely, ya mad thing living on the edge ;D, now please post to newbies why a vial is not normally enough ;)

Alex Lawes

Recipe looks familiar too!

On the temp start low enough and you can raise it up to 30 if you want.

I wouldn't go higher than 25 though.

imark

Any update on this? What's she finishing at?

I used this on a brew I did Sunday. 1.068 + 1.5L starter @19C. Want to get down to ~1.008.

DEMPSEY

Had a taste of it and it is a nice Belgium,you would not guess the strength. ;)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

imark

How was the flavour from the yeast? It gives off a strong banana smell.