• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:55:30 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

dry hopping

Started by baphomite51, May 11, 2014, 03:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baphomite51

iv got my dry hops (leaf) weighed out and ready to go in the freezer but i have them in a muslin bag which i didnt sanitize. would it be ok to throw them in the fermentor or will i need to take them out of the bag sanitize it then throw them in, the beer is gonna be about 5-6% ABV at this stage? or has anyone got an opinion on just throwing the hops in without a bag? i like the idea of the bag as it will keep things less messy when i go to transfer to the bottling bucket, i done it before without a bag and felt like i lost a lot of beer because of hops getting everywhere clogging my cane and stuff. this is a three week primary with the hops goin in the fermentor on the last week.

sub82

I would definitely sanitize the muslin - we usually boil it for 5 minutes. Yeah the bag will help solve your previous issue of hops clogging the cane.

If you've some marbles they can be sanitized and put inside the bag to weigh the hops down.

LordEoin

i'd take the hops out and give the bag a boil.
Or you could put the hops and bag into a small saucepan, pour on a pint of boiling water, then dump the hop tea into the FV with the bag of hops

baphomite51

Quote from: LordEoin on May 11, 2014, 04:06:19 PM
i'd take the hops out and give the bag a boil.
Or you could put the hops and bag into a small saucepan, pour on a pint of boiling water, then dump the hop tea into the FV with the bag of hops

hmmm thats interesting i kinda like that idea might looking into that a bit more.

otherwise ill take the hops out and boil the bag its not a big deal. i was gonna do the marble idea too or i was gonna use small stainless bolts so i could get closer to the weight of the hops and bag to have them suspended in the beer, i feel youd be restricted with marbles as there weight can vary dramatically? does it matter if the hop bag is suspended or it rests on the bottom?

LordEoin

i normally use marbles. I doubt there's much inconsistency in them as they're super mass produced.
i prefer to have them completely submerged, but other folks dont mind them floating.
nuts and bolts have all sorts of grooves for nasties to hide in.

beerfly

no harm with the hop bag being on the bottom either, odds are if you put any weights in the bag its going to go straight down anyway.

brenmurph

Hop bag and dry hops in pressure cooker 1 minute . Dont let too much steam escape via the release valve.. aroma oils stay in and the 110c will kill of pretty much all inc spores that can defend themselves against a quick boil

RichC

Unless you intend harvesting yeast from the troub just dump the hops straight in

Motorbikeman

Would the alcohol in the beer kill off any nasties?

LordEoin

not unless you've made spirit strength beer   ;)

fishjam45 (Colin)

mmmm spirit strenght beer  :D
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

delzep

fishjam45 (Colin)

Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

delzep

They have it in Farringtons