• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:48:16 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Recommended Reading

Started by Beerdoh, March 13, 2013, 04:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biertourist

I'll also recommend "Radical Brewing" after you fall into a brewing "slump" and it seems to have lost some of it's magic and you just get beer maker's "writer's block" and can't think of something interesting and creative.

Randy Moser will remind you of why you love beer and brewing in the first place and make it incredibly exciting again.  I'm not sure there's anyone on the planet more excited all the time about beer than Randy Moser and this is coming from a guy who is himself very much in a constant state of excitement about beer.  Radical Brewing is Randy Moser's love letter to his life long love, beer; and its awesome to read.

Adam

biertourist

A great review of "Radical Brewing" just got posted here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/radical-brewing-review.html

Randy Moser is going to be releasing a new book entitled "Mastering Homebrew: The Complete Guide to Brewing Delicious Beer".

NormanBrew

Hey guys

I am pretty sure that English versions of "La fabrication de la bière" by Jean Sunier can be ordered from Canada. It is the most complete and accurate brewing guide I ever came across, I really highly recommend it!

The technical part is sometimes a bit complex but it literally goes through everything you need to know to make your own!

Hope it helps...

Sorcerers Apprentice

October 02, 2014, 08:22:00 AM #33 Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:05:20 PM by Sorcerers Apprentice
Not Brewing as such, but An Appetite for Ale makes an interesting read, contains lots of food recipes using beer plus food/beer pairings

There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

biertourist

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on October 02, 2014, 08:22:00 AM
Not Brewing as such, but An Appetite for Ale makes an interesting read, contains lots of food recipes using beer plus food/beer pairings

In the same vein, the gold standard in beer and food pairing:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Brewmasters-Table-Discovering-Pleasures/dp/0060005718

Adam

banjobrew

This is a great thread. I'm going to try and start a book swap in my local club. just got CAMRA's Brew Your Own British Ale and there's a lot of good stuff in there for the beginning/intermediate brewer. If a little old school.
Belfast Homebrewers.

Shaun

I'm currently reading "Home Brewing - A Complete Guide On How to Brew Beer" by James Hueston. Fantastic book, lots of history of the origins of many types of beer and how they've changed/advanced over the years. The second half the book is awesome tips + tricks to brewing better beer for each specialty.

Qs

I just got Modern Homebrew Recipes by Gordon Strong and it looks great. The recipes are laid out better than any other book I've seen and he includes techniques like first wort hopping and adding grains late in the mash. He specifies the exact malt from specific maltsters too. The recipes look really interesting too and he shows a few examples of different version of certain styles. Of course as you'd expect he includes recipes for new BJCP styles too. I really can't wait to brew a few recipes from this now.

biertourist

Quote from: Qs on June 11, 2015, 11:56:49 AM
I just got Modern Homebrew Recipes by Gordon Strong and it looks great. The recipes are laid out better than any other book I've seen and he includes techniques like first wort hopping and adding grains late in the mash. He specifies the exact malt from specific maltsters too. The recipes look really interesting too and he shows a few examples of different version of certain styles. Of course as you'd expect he includes recipes for new BJCP styles too. I really can't wait to brew a few recipes from this now.

Thanks for posting this!  This book is next on my list and it's great to hear good things.  I've been considering Randy Moser's new book, too, if for no other reason than reading Randy Moser makes me get excited about brewing again every time!  That guy really loves beer!

Adam

molc

June 29, 2015, 08:20:54 PM #39 Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:48:54 PM by molc
Just finished Randy's new book and didn't find it that exciting. Ordered Gordon strongs new one based on this thread to see.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

delzep

Are the units in metric or imperial in this book?

Qs

Beermonger

Quote from: Partridge9 on May 07, 2013, 11:40:40 PM
I got

The Home Brewer's Recipe Database - by Les Howarth

Now ..
Sooo no mash temp (68 i believe) - no mash time (60 mins) - no boil time - no timing on hops - or mention of the split
No mention of the yeast or the water profile or of the open top fermenters.

Its just too little information .. I would have preferred more research on say 30 recipes with extensive detail rather than 1300 (I can only estimate)  recipes all equally vague.

Just curious of what others make of the book.

I don't have the book but had an idea of what was in it. Never seemed very useful to me, until I heard an interview with the author on Basic Brewing Radio. He describes why he published it and how he uses it to develop recipes. Sounded much more interesting after that!

February 18, 2010 episode from http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2010
Planning: DIPA, Kweik PA, Calibration Pale Ale
Putrifying: nothing
Pouring: Lovely Saison, Czech Lager, 1804 Porter
Past: Cashmere PA

molc

Got this and love it. Like Brewing Better Beer, there is a nice preamble about process and then the recipes talk about flavour contributions of ingredients and how to change the recipes to get interesting results. It really helps you think about your brewing and how to formulate, much more so than just a raw set of recipes like BCS
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Beermonger

September 09, 2015, 05:58:21 PM #44 Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:37:54 AM by Beermonger
I just started reading Modern Homebrew Recipes, and I like it so much that I went and ordered Brewing Better Beer (waiting for it now). I like his approach to technique and some of the recipes in MHR look great.
Planning: DIPA, Kweik PA, Calibration Pale Ale
Putrifying: nothing
Pouring: Lovely Saison, Czech Lager, 1804 Porter
Past: Cashmere PA