• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:19:50 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

How to Kit Hack (an intermediate guide)

Started by LordEoin, June 05, 2013, 03:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayMc

Great read LordEoin, I'll definitely be trying this next. I'm dying to put caramel into something.

But what's the difference between a kit with a load of hacks and extract brewing?
Head Brewer
3 Brewers, Toronto

LordEoin

basically with extract you put all the flavors in while kit hacks start with a base style and improve/change the end result.
brewday wise, the main difference is that with extract you'll need to do your hour hop boil for bitterness while hacking focuses more on the late hop additions, other ingredients and steeping grain.
I'm not sure if you mean caramel malt or just caramel, but go for it :)

oinkely

Hi LordEoin,

A quick question on your addition of 200gm of Carapils to every kit.

Does it add to the gravity of the beer?  and if yes, by how much?

I might give that a go on my next IPA kit.

thanks

irish_goat

Quote from: oinkely on April 01, 2015, 03:05:26 PM
Hi LordEoin,

A quick question on your addition of 200gm of Carapils to every kit.

Does it add to the gravity of the beer?  and if yes, by how much?

I might give that a go on my next IPA kit.

thanks

You're talking about 0.02% extra ABV for 200g of Carapils. The whole idea is it adds mouthfeel and body without adding much fermentables.

LordEoin

Yeah, it's better to just think of them as an added bonus ;)
But if you want to see the difference each addition makes to the beer try something like brewmate

JayMc

Quote from: LordEoin on April 01, 2015, 02:16:38 PM

I'm not sure if you mean caramel malt or just caramel, but go for it :)

I meant actual caramel, like a caramel sauce, I suppose I'll be using some type of caramel malt as well. It'll be going into an american style pale ale.
Head Brewer
3 Brewers, Toronto

LordEoin

just remember that the caramel will ferment out and probably taste very different without the sugar.
Also, you're probably going to be introducing fat from butter and cream.

oinkely

Thanks folks

every day is a learning day

Yeah, it's better to just think of them as an added bonus ;)
But if you want to see the difference each addition makes to the beer try something like brewmate
[/quote]

Greg2013

Just getting back into one can kits and a bit of partial mashing and i have a couple questions.

1)I have a one can kit and i add say 200gr Crystal 60 to it,do i still need to add carapils for head retention or is the crystal enough ?

2)I have a shed load of pale and pilsner malts,as well as crystal 60 and chocolate malt,can i use these to supplement the one can kit and not bother with the sugar/dme additions,and if so is there anything in particular i need to watch out for to ensure a good brew ? :)

Basically i have a load of whole grains here i want to use up,i don't have the energy or time to do all full ag brewdays,i want to use as much as possible of what i have in stock and not have to go out buying more fermentables. :)
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

johnrm

LordEoin

1) Crystal should be enough
2) Mash at about 66C. about 2.5 times the water to grain. eg. 2kg grain: 5liters water. Sparge out at 75C.

FDBinashui

Hi Folks,
Just getting back into brewing after a few years hiatus.
I'm going to start off with kits and then move to extract and hopefully all grain at some point.

On kit hacking - I'm thinking of a treacle stout.

At what point is it best to add the treacle - should I do that along with the initial boiling water, or add it to secondary?.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

mick02

Quote from: FDBinashui on June 07, 2020, 10:29:00 AMHi Folks,
I'm going to start off with kits and then move to extract and hopefully all grain at some point.

At what point is it best to add the treacle - should I do that along with the initial boiling water, or add it to secondary?.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

I've never used treacle but when using candi sugar I would add it at high krausen, about a day or so into fermentation when the yeast are at their most active. Temp control is a must though as you'll have to control the yeast otherwise you're going to have all sorts of off flavours. Good luck with the brew
NHC Committee member

FDBinashui

Quote from: mick02 on June 08, 2020, 11:54:17 AM
Quote from: FDBinashui on June 07, 2020, 10:29:00 AMHi Folks,

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

I've never used treacle but when using candi sugar I would add it at high krausen, about a day or so into fermentation when the yeast are at their most active. Temp control is a must though as you'll have to control the yeast otherwise you're going to have all sorts of off flavours. Good luck with the brew

Thanks for that. Is there a reason you wouldn't do it as part of the initial process (e.g. before i pitch the yeast)?.

Also - and I may be a bit ahead of myself but would a coffee treacle stout be any way decent or am I going way outside of the wheelhouse?.
Could use either beans or grinds, would more than likely use a hop bag if adding to the fermenter, but wondering is there any good in adding in with the malt as part of the initial process, maybe along with the treacle before I add the water even?

mick02

Adding the treacle at high krausen ensures the yeast is in optimal condition to attack the simple sugars in the treacle. This is just my experience with candi sugar but I'd imagine that it's the same with treacle. Regarding coffee treacle stout, that's a matter of taste. I am certainly not going to tell you not to try! Let me know how it finishes up though.
NHC Committee member