• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:28 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Waterford City Brewers Meetup

Started by TheSumOfAllBeers, April 18, 2019, 11:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSumOfAllBeers

I have been talking to a few people through PMs and off forum, and it looks like there is enough interest to warrant a waterford HB meetup.

Some background here in this thread: https://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/south-eastern-homebrewers/south-eastern-brewers/15/

Whats making this meetup more topical is the closure of 2 craft pubs (metalman & beerkeeper) and the latter closure seems to have done a number on brewer/beer appreciation meetup that was going on there.

Though its made more complicated by the fact that most of the brewers here I have talked to, keep funny hours (work, kids etc.). I dont know how practical it is to do the usual midweek meetup, that is favoured by most HB club meets. It might be the case that a weekend *afternoon* meetup might suit the group more (and would also favour other South Easterners from outside the city).

Initially, the first meet would be somewhere neutral/central like a pub that will allow tastings, and once people are acquainted, it might be possible to arrange meetups at peoples houses instead (i.e. on brew days).

Could people reply here an register interest in a waterford based meetup? Also suggestions on *where* to meetup and which days suit you.

1. TSOAB - can make any weeknight for now unless it clashes with the OH's late shift. Can do weekend/afternoon sessions too. Mobile (bike) so can get to odd locations in addition to central locations.

CARA

I'd be interested, just got my homebrew kit set up at home again thanks to Mr Conde!

I'm pretty sure Gradys would allow for bottle share nights too. The manager home brews too.
Upa Sesh

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: CARA on April 18, 2019, 11:54:16 PM
I'd be interested, just got my homebrew kit set up at home again thanks to Mr Conde!

I'm pretty sure Gradys would allow for bottle share nights too. The manager home brews too.

its on the shortlist. been there a few times, and the layout is good for a meetup/bottle share.

ac13

Interested, work schedule hectic so availability varies week to week.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Its been a busy couple of weeks and weekends for me to try and setup a meeting, but I am still genuinely trying to get something organised.

In the absence of anything formal, is anyone going to this brewing themed event in Tullys?
https://www.facebook.com/events/2607590152588745/
I think I will pop down to it, as I *shockingly* dont have anything clashing for a change. Could discuss a proper meetup afterwards if any of you guys make it down.

CARA

Few of us sticking the head in yeah.
Upa Sesh

TheSumOfAllBeers

I am going to be calling into Gradys Yard this afternoon to meet the bar manager and discuss about setting up a meet.

From talking to others, I get the feeling that a weekend meetup might suit better. Probably afternoon more so than evening (which is presumably when they are busiest/loudest).

Can I get some interest from people here on when they would prefer to meet up?

I am very flexible for the next few months at least:

1. TSOAB/RichC: Sat/Sun afternoons and most Mon/Tue/Thu evenings

CARA

Kevin's looking forward to meeting you.

Most evenings are good for me.
The latest I get back to waterford is 8.30, usually 7.30. Weekends will just depend what festivals and stuff are on.
Upa Sesh

Tisme

I work till 9:30 weekdays but off every weekend, be delighted to drop in,

ac13

Weekends may suit better for the moment but could do weekday evenings occasionally.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Had a good chat with Kevin, and he was really keen to support a local home brew meetup.

Fast Notes:
- We provisionally thought that the best day for a first meetup was a sunday afternoon. We can revisit this later of course.
- We got the thumbs up to bring in members beers for sampling/feedback
- the side area, where the old wexford brewkit is setup could be used as a private/quieter space for a meetup - which is a nice option if we get a large turnout or if we do something practical/technical
- the brew kit itself is not setup currently, they are considering getting the work done to make it functional for small batch beers, and also it could be made available to an active home brewer group for collaborations/demos etc. Failing that, it is a production brewery and a technical presentation could be done on it in its current state.

So actions right now which dates suit people?
- Sunday 26 May
- Sunday 09 June
- Sunday 16 June

And what times? I would go with 2PM as a default but open to changes from anyone else.

Would anyone volunteer to do a technical talk or presentation ? I wouldnt ask for people to go mad on powerpoint/keynote etc. As we may not have a suitable AV hookup (and powerpoints can be a right slog). A 5-10 minute session is a good size (easy to commit to and complete quickly).

For instance, I have done a lot of kegging into these small minikegs: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Keg-Beer-Growler-5L-Stainless-Steel-barrel-bottle-screw-top-naked-keg/331958530902?hash=item4d4a453356:g:6XAAAOSwSCZbRMyz and they are a little bit funny to dispense. It might make a useful demonstration to bring one in with the various parts necessary to dispense.

Pictures of a brew day would also work.

I am happy to setup a quick meeting to get the ball rolling here, but I appreciate that 4 days notice might be a bit short for many people.

CARA

I can attend the 9th or 16th. I have a hb cider I can bring.
Upa Sesh

ac13

Can attend the 16th. Should have a few bits and pieces floating around that I can bring.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Going to book us in for the 16th so. Will put up a separate post with itinerary.

Tisme

Sounds good . Great work . Looking forward to meeting everyone