• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 18, 2024, 03:54:20 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Stuck Fermentation

Started by YoshiBrau, February 26, 2022, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoshiBrau

Hi all - having trouble with a batch of HBC Irish Stout; went into the fermenter last week, OG was spot on at 1.046, day one it was bubbling ferociously and stayed that way for about 24hrs. Since then, totally dead and G ATM is 1.030. Have tried adding more yeast, nothing. A warmer environment and a stir. Nothing. Temp is at 22. It's totally stuck and we're coming up on 10 days. Any ideas / help appreciated; really don't want to dump this  :(

DEMPSEY

this can happen in a number of ways. Was your mash fully converted and how much of your grist was from unfermentables. future brews of stouts I would suggest a longer mash to make sure you get full conversion and also a lower temperature to also get more fermentables to offset the unfementables in the mash grist.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

THBC company have an enzyme additive that can chew through dextrin sugars but others have told me that it can go too far and convert all so end up leaving the beer too dry.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Mossy

Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer? Alcohol can throw off the refractometer reading making it look like a stalled fermentation. I fell for that one before. A simple correction can sort that out if that's the problem.

YoshiBrau

Thanks Dempsey & Mossy - using a refractometer but have just done a hydro read and it is 1.022, so lower but still sitting at a 3.2% ABV. 5.1kg of fermentables - Maris Otter (4.5), plus roast and flaked barley. Everything done in the Grainfather and moved to our GEB plastic bucket fermenter. Totally stumped on this one - brew 9 and it's the first stall 😵‍💫